inTank Media Baskets

Coral Mushroom Loose

tlford555

I have a 12gal nano cube I bought a mushroom coral that was stuck to a shell, it detached yesterday during a water change and now it is stuck down in my live rock where I can't see it. How can I get it out or should I just leave it there. I want to see it but don't know if I can flush it out

GunslingerGirl

Ok a few questions to get you started in the right direction...

What do you mean by "stuck down in the live rock"? Like wedged in there? Or actually decided to attach itself there?

Where did you place it initially in the tank compared to where it decided to move to? Might not have liked the original placement. What type of mushroom was it?

Also what are your tank parameters? If they are off that could stress a coral into acting funny. That being said... shrooms are weird and will sometimes jump ship to go somewhere else.

Did you by chance dump the new water onto the shroom? That could've done it as well. Did you match the sg and temp of the new water?

Don't want to ask too many basic questions but more info is needed to help you figure out what's going on.

Yesterday it was attached to a shell. After my water change I noticed it was off the shell and floating. I didn't want it to float so I placed it on the rocks and then it floated down into a hole where I can't see it. The water was the same temp I always check it. My water test is good. I'm not sure what kind it's red. I'm new to this hobby so I'm just learning. I don't really want it out of site. I want to be able to see it. Thanks for your help

GunslingerGirl

Yesterday it was attached to a shell. After my water change I noticed it was off the shell and floating. I didn't want it to float so I placed it on the rocks and then it floated down into a hole where I can't see it. The water was the same temp I always check it. My water test is good. I'm not sure what kind it's red. I'm new to this hobby so I'm just learning. I don't really want it out of site. I want to be able to see it. Thanks for your help

If you can pull it out you should be able to put it in a tupperware tub with some holes poked in it and some rubble. It should attach to the rubble. If not then it's easier to remove from plastic than rock.

As long as you always check the salt levels and temp of the new water you will be good. If you don't already, get a refractometer to check the specific gravity. Hydrometers become useless unless spectacularly maintained (and even then)

I recommend trying to get it out before it attaches to the rock. Picks of what you are working with will help us out in planning your attack.

Mushrooms let loose and float away when they are unhappy where they are.

To re-attach a mushroom you need to.

Get a small new plastic container. Drill holes in it. Place some rubble on the bottom or frag plugs(stems cut off is best)

Place mushroom on the rubble or plug. Wrap a mesh on top with elastic. Wait a few days. It will attach to the rubble/plug then glue that to an area that meets it needs(not high light or high flow)

Another method is placing it somewhere, putting a net/mesh over it(something has to hold down the material) wait until it reattaches.

GunslingerGirl

Please find out what made it leave in the first place though or else all these efforts will just lead to it refloating away or melting in a severe turn of events.

Like clown said and like I said earlier, we need more info to figure out why it floated off in the first place. Run through the questions I posted and see if you can't find the issue. If the terminology is confusing a let us know, we want you to succeed :)

Mushrooms have a mind of their own. They will totally detach and most often do when added to a new tank. In my experience, you pretty much have to let it go and find a spot it likes. If it's not too deep in the hole it will attach and stretch it's body to the outside lighting. Then it will start multiplying like bunnies :D.

I love mushrooms, but hate the attitude that comes with them LOL.

Archived