inTank Media Baskets

Diamond Goby

B_Dawk5

I've lost my second freaking goby in less than a week( after one being replaced) in my Biocube 32. They both were approximately 2" long when I got them. There is plenty of live rock and places to burrow. I placed mysis shrimp at both of there places they decided to make their homes.Each one I drip acclimated 3/4 over water ratio after letting the bag float in the the tank for temperature matching. My nitrates are 0ppm and my ammonia is 0ppm what could possibly be the cause? I have two clowns In already one being a black ice snowflake along with 5 turbos and 5 cone heads .. they have been in for 3 weeks the tank is 2 months old. Only thing added was to tank in addition was fish food and aquavitro seed . Yes it has cycled

Question- Did you lose as in they died and you pulled them out or is is it an assumption situation?

I loved my D Goby- He figured out how to jump through the small crevice into where the sump is. I thought he had died and found him staring at me a week later.

Moved him back in and a few months later did the same thing and unfortunately died back there. Sneaky little fish and one of my favorites!

Both came out from their spots and perished in the open sand bed I believe. No jumpers yet except the 1st one came up to the surface a few times like he was needing air.. I'm just puzzled wondering if it's a bigger size I need to get or just wipe my hands here and move on. I hate you lost one as well it sucks they're awesome fish.

Wow so odd. Honestly I never really "fed" any of my Gobys- I have had 3 the past year, Diamond first, Yellow next and last Court Jester. None have ever been interested during feeding time rather get the food they need by sand sifting. The Diamond perished via sump, Yellow from Ich, and the CJ was just a few weeks ago during a heater malfunction that eventually killed him.

Do you have a LFS? If so I would take a sample of your water in. I have found from others that fish already in tank can get used to something off but new tankmates don't fare as well.

Also since tank is only 2 months old I would recommend waiting a bit before adding another fish. The BC 32 can definitely handle more than 2 fish but after many misses (one including fish too fast after a few months of being up) I add fish VERY slow. I would work on adding a coral and see how it does... then after another month add another fish.

Personally I don't think the BC should have more than 4 fish unless very well established. I made the mistake of having 5 fish in the first few months. When I added the last fish my tank tilted, every fish got Ich and eventually died.

I am not well versed on the science side of water but many others on here are and will hopefully ask you better questions!

For me the sweet spot is 3 of my favorites- then very cautiously add a 4th much later.

So sorry about your bad luck- the only other thought I have is where the source of the Goby comes from? Perhaps the store purchased had a bad group?

Yes that very well could possibly be the case. I intended on doing 4 max along with some variation of softies. Luckily I do have two lfs's that stand behind their fish but at only 50% in a 7 day period of course. I have two Duncan whisker frags at the bottom(forgot to mention) They were added last week and are doing great.But as you said taking some time to let the tank mature a bit more is going to be the best option in the end. I definitely don't want to keep killing fish if it has anything whatsoever to do with my parameters. I do appreciate the advice

Your tank is fairly new, the goby is a sandsifter, maybe not enough in your sand to sustain them.

Did you witness them eating prepared food?

No I didn't witness them eat the food.. both of them went straight under the rock work made their spots and never came out except the first one that went up a few times for air.

Just a thought but you might want to get some copepods- all fish seem to like them and all of my Goby's have munched them with happiness. They are pricey in the store but Amazon has a great vendor I have used a bunch! Algaebarn is the name :-)

Well today I took the leap and bought a large size one 3.5" . I couldn't give up on my favorite fish. I just acclimated him and seems to be doing well but time will tell. I will have to try the copepods thanks for the suggestion thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I know it sounds crazy but I test all water from lfs that they come in. The past two have been in 1.019 salinity range of not a little lower and this guy was in 1.025 my water is 1.024

The 2nd seems to of been injured maybe

whoa something looks really off - Do you have a cujo lurking in your tank? I hope 3rd is your lucky fish! I would pick up some pods just to get your tank in a great place and it will certainly help your Goby and pretty much anyone in the tank!

Yeah I know looks crazy doesn't it! The clowns in there where in no way shape or form intimidated by the small ones. I don't have. Clue what caused both deaths but I'm honestly puzzled. The fish are supposed to be the easy part from what I've heard lol but noo not gobys .. I've noticed this one to have a pretty solid body health wise so I hope he fares well. I do have egg crate in between rock and glass maybe he injured himself. I have no clue

Archived