Cultivated Reef

Increasing microfauna in sand bed?

Clown79

Oh yeah, I forgot you were in Canada. Maybe try going to your LFS and ask if you can get some "grunge" (scrapings, rubble, muck) from their tanks.

Whats ipsf?

Indo Pacific Sea Farms. They sell "biodiversity" packs, algae, worms,etc,.

Very nice packaging and will tailor to your needs.

IPSF is located in Hawaii and won't ship to Canada. "Sorry, we do not ship outside the mainland USA or to any international destination".

IPSF is located in Hawaii and won't ship to Canada. "Sorry, we do not ship outside the mainland USA or to any international destination".

Bummer. :(

Yup. Anything that is considered live wouldn't be able to be shipped.

The goby i wanted it for died. I suspect its due to lack of food in the sand. He wouldn't eat anything prepared.

Interestingly, they don't ship to HI either.

Considering what you need the bio-diversity for (feeding a Goby), one option is setting up a seperate refugium type tank and seeding it with a bit of sand/rubble from a large thriving reef tank that has good population of amphipods, worms, etc. Keep the tank free of major predators and pests, then exchange some sand back-and-forth between it and the display tank every week (or more often, if needed) to keep a constant supply of little critters available in the display. This would be the most economical way of generating you own home-grown food and you'd have full control of what goes into your DT.

Another option for a Goby might be using a live black worm culture that you can maintain at home in the fridge or dwarf red earthworms. I did this for years to have live food available for FW breeding efforts, but with marine fish I'd still look at providing as varied a live diet as possible with other marine based sources of food.

Archived