Pod Your Reef

Guppies and QT

LbulletM

I wasn't sure where else to post this, so here it is in General.

I really want to add a couple guppies to my QT to create live spawn for additional feeding in my display tank. I'm just now setting up my QT for before I get a second fish. It's a 10 gallon and I emptied my ~5 gallon water change into it last night. I'll be adding another 5 gallons of RODI tonight to bring the salinity way down to try and acclimate the guppies to saltwater.

I guess the basic questions are:

- What types of fish will these live spawn benefit? I have a Potters and am planning a blenny, goby, clown pair, and possibly a wrasse instead of a second clown.

- Are there any issues with keeping breeding guppies in a tank that may be frequently medicated?

- Would just a pair of guppies be sufficient, or should I go with 3-4?

- Any chance a Mandarin would take a liking to guppies? I'm thinking they would be too fast for one.

Thanks, all!

I believe a Mandarin's mouth may be to small for the guppy fry. Hopefully I'm wrong and it works for you so I can finally add one of my favorite fish to my tank.

I believe a Mandarin's mouth may be to small for the guppy fry. Hopefully I'm wrong and it works for you so I can finally add one of my favorite fish to my tank.

Right now, a Mandarin isn't on my list because I'm too green to the hobby to risk it. I'm inclined to agree that the mouth would be too small though :-/

burtbollinger

I dont say this with any tone or anything....this is a bad idea. you have a lot more important things to worry about right now.

ALSO, you mention a mandarin....so this is a good time to let you know that a mandarin should be no where near your list.

From another post:

skip the mandarin...you'll likely end up like I did, focusing way too much attention and effort on getting him to eat...and dumping in a ton of food that ends up messing up your tank. not worth it. the beautiful reef you've created takes a back seat to the needs of a single fish...bad news.

I did it with Endlers at one point. My clowns actively hunted down good sized endlers. It was actually a little scary to see how aggressive they were with feeding on the small fish. Honestly it was a bit more hassle than it was worth. Gutloading guppies on the same food I was feeding the clowns which actively ate the food anyway.

My real reason for having them was a treat for a cuttlefish and helped me get the cuttle onto frozen when I ran low on other live foods to feed them.

I dont say this with any tone or anything....this is a bad idea. you have a lot more important things to worry about right now.

ALSO, you mention a mandarin....so this is a good time to let you know that a mandarin should be no where near your list.

From another post:

skip the mandarin...you'll likely end up like I did, focusing way too much attention and effort on getting him to eat...and dumping in a ton of food that ends up messing up your tank. not worth it. the beautiful reef you've created takes a back seat to the needs of a single fish...bad news.

Not sure what more important things I have to worry about? I was just really interested in saltwater acclimation of freshwater fish and figured it wouldn't hurt to do as a little side project in my QT.

As far as the mandarin, I guess I should have labeled it as an aside and just a thought as I was typing up the list. I'm pretty sure you were the one discussing clown pairs with me. Did you see a mandarin anywhere on that list? ;) I don't have any intention of adding a mandarin right now. If I did, I wouldn't be throwing it in my tank and hoping it ate baby guppies haha. I'll be saving that one for a larger tank if I ever move to one or at least down the road when I have the time to train one on pellets.

I did it with Endlers at one point. My clowns actively hunted down good sized endlers. It was actually a little scary to see how aggressive they were with feeding on the small fish. Honestly it was a bit more hassle than it was worth. Gutloading guppies on the same food I was feeding the clowns which actively ate the food anyway.

My real reason for having them was a treat for a cuttlefish and helped me get the cuttle onto frozen when I ran low on other live foods to feed them.

Eh, I think I was just trying to give myself more reasons to have guppies in my QT. I plan on basically setting up the QT as a semi-permanent tank, possibly transitioning to a frag tank once my full stock is in my DT. Figured it would be nice to have something flashy and different in the QT tank as a permanent addition, but don't know how to go about with the possible excess of fry. Was hoping something would enjoy them! I honestly just really liked the idea of acclimating freshwater to saltwater. A little experiment of sorts to keep me interested. :D

burtbollinger

Not sure what more important things I have to worry about? I was just really interested in saltwater acclimation of freshwater fish and figured it wouldn't hurt to do as a little side project in my QT.

As far as the mandarin, I guess I should have labeled it as an aside and just a thought as I was typing up the list. I'm pretty sure you were the one discussing clown pairs with me. Did you see a mandarin anywhere on that list? ;) I don't have any intention of adding a mandarin right now. If I did, I wouldn't be throwing it in my tank and hoping it ate baby guppies haha. I'll be saving that one for a larger tank if I ever move to one or at least down the road when I have the time to train one on pellets.

Eh, I think I was just trying to give myself more reasons to have guppies in my QT. I plan on basically setting up the QT as a semi-permanent tank, possibly transitioning to a frag tank once my full stock is in my DT. Figured it would be nice to have something flashy and different in the QT tank as a permanent addition, but don't know how to go about with the possible excess of fry. Was hoping something would enjoy them! I honestly just really liked the idea of acclimating freshwater to saltwater. A little experiment of sorts to keep me interested. :D

if that specific aspect of the hobby interests then you by all means go for it. had I known that was an actual interest, I wouldn't have mentioned it. my bad. I was thinking you thought it was "necessary"...was just trying to let you know that it wasn't.

For most without that interest, almost anything would be more important :)...scrubbing the glass, re-arranging the sock drawer...anything but raising freshwater guppies in your QT.

I confess I did not read much of this thread. Many people have assimilated fresh water fish to SW. The only thing is in nature most SW fish do have fresh water fish as a normal part of their diet. I am not sure there is any benefit nutrition wise.

if that specific aspect of the hobby interests then you by all means go for it. had I known that was an actual interest, I wouldn't have mentioned it. my bad. I was thinking you thought it was "necessary"...was just trying to let you know that it wasn't.

For most without that interest, almost anything would be more important :)...scrubbing the glass, re-arranging the sock drawer...anything but raising freshwater guppies in your QT.

Haha fair enough. Except the socks thing. I hate socks on laundry day. Almost as much as undershirts.

I confess I did not read much of this thread. Many people have assimilated fresh water fish to SW. The only thing is in nature most SW fish do have fresh water fish as a normal part of their diet. I am not sure there is any benefit nutrition wise.

Good to know. I was just trying to figure out what to do with guppy fry.

Archived