SaltCritters.com

Is the crab a threat?

Muges

Im new to marine. Ive just started my first tank and its currently in the cycling process. My liverock contained a large crab identical to the one I have added a photo of. Is it going to be a threat to my tank when I start introducing livestock and corals? It is currently eating a clam that came in on the live rock.

post-93065-0-68609800-1484382039_thumb.jpg

He looks like a rype of decorator crab or "teddy bear crab".

The problem is there are so many types of decorators and gorilla crabs that its hard to say.

Personally,unless i know exactly whwt kind of crab it is, I won't keep it

GunslingerGirl

If you don't want to keep it, a post on the for sale livestock thread once you reach the post count would be a quick way to hopefully find him a new home.

Starvin Marvin

Hey Muges,

You mentioned that you are new to marine. With that in mind, I would like to recommend to you that you don't keep the crab in the tank. I have first hand experience (negative) with what we call "hitch-hiker crabs" like yours that ride in on live rock.

They can eat your corals, mushrooms, and even live fish and it will be difficult to remove it after you add the other livestock.

If you can capture it- do so and try to re-home.

If it hides in the rock, sell the rock with the crab.

As a last resort - take the rock out and pour boiling water in or squirt it in with a turkey baster if you have silicone oven mits to wear. It will kill it instantly.

Also keep an eye out for others. Maybe place some delicious food on the sand bed and see if they will come out to eat.

You are always better off controlling every single aspect of your tank, including all inhabitants, whenever possible. It allows you to keep everything else happy and healthy a lot easier.

Dustin

Archived