Innovative Marine Aquariums

Trying a different approach

uwharrie

I have been having a heck of a time with my 29 gal biocube. First Cyano now GHA, bubble algae and green cyano.

Spent some time at a LFS that has some folks with long term knowledge.

Seems I may be running lights too long.

so I am reducing the time of the lights and added more snails, a urchin and sea hare. They agree I don't have any much of a bioload and may be over "processing" ( my term) the chemical filtration.

So the plan is to actually do less water changes, less time with lights, and take out the chempure and purigen and just run carbon. Stay tuned... will hopefully keep this updated!

I agree that photo period for too long will aid in algae

Too high white light will cause algae

Leaving media in too long will lead to nutrient issues.

I prefer using a good carbon changed out every 3 weeks. I rinse the media bag every week. I stopped using chemipures, i saw no benefit.

I added purigen instead.

The only thing i don't agree with them is less water changes.

I am planning on switching to carbon only.

The advice BTW is coming from a couple of guys with many years of reef tank ownership.

I may do 10% weekly changes ( 1/2 the current gals) and see what happens

Right now it is 5:30 am to 9:00 pm with about an hour ramp each way. We concluded I am running way too long on the lights. Need to figure if the typhoon allows for two on off times. I am gone from 6 am to 6:30 pm during the week I do want to actually see my tank!

burtbollinger

yeah, lights on too long.

I wouldnt have those lights turn on and begin a slow 90 min. ramp untll 11:30 / noon...ramping downward @ 90 min...starting at 10:00PM...off @ 11:30 PM...so you can enjoy when you get home.

i ramp starting at 11:20 AM..ramp down starting @ 10:30 PM....lights off/moonlight on at midnight. I work 9-6 daily. Ideal setting to get the full color spectrum of tank in a condensed period while at home.

I am only home and up for about 3 hrs each evening. I get up at 4:30 and leave at 6:ooam and do not get home till 6:30pm.

Why not just set your lights to when you are home? Mine run 11am with 2 hr ramp up, start ramping down at 8pm, moonlights 10pm-12am

burtbollinger

for 6:30 arrival at home: start the lights at 11:30 AM....ramp down starting at 10:30 PM. Lights off at 12AM. You get 4 hours full light and get to enjoy a scenic sunset as you wind down for bed time. Give it a try anyway.

OR what time do you go to bed? If earlier, push everything back. Have the lights off hit right when your head hits the pillow.

Having some success. Miss Bunny ( the Sea Hare) is making very short work of her all you can eat salad bar. At this rate I will be buying Nori in a week. :-)

My reactor should arrive this week. I know 0.03 for phosphate is low but once the algae is gone will be interesting to see what it test out to.

Question on Sea Hares are they capable of climbing the back wall? There is a ton of GHA on the back wall if she can climb it will just let her take care of it. if not will scrape it off. Lights have been reduced by 5 hrs as well

Will post some before and after photos tonight

Archived