ReefCleaners.org

Clown pair in 12 gallon

RipTide23

That is definitely too much bioload for that size of a tank, I would limit yourself to two small species of fish. Pygmy Angelfish need a larger tank and Mandarins have special diet requirements that would be difficult to achieve in a smaller system, unless you can get one that is weened completely onto prepared foods.

By pair of Clownfish what species do you have in mind? I would stick with smaller species of Clownfish such as Percula if that is the route you wish to take.

I was thinking of either a pair of pair of percolate or a pair of ocellaris.

Would it work if I did just one clownfish, a Midas, and maybe a firefish?

Also I know some Pygmy angels only get 3" like the Fishers Angel and Cherub Angel. Would it work to have a 22 gallon with one of these?

No to the midas, it grows to 6".

I'd do either the 2 clowns or a clown and firefish. Thats it.

If you're doing a reef, be aware angels aren't reef safe. I also have not seen angels being kept in small aquaria.

On the topic of clown fish. i also have a 12 long. I've had a single clown hosting a hammer coral for about 5 months. Its doing great as well as the coral. My question is Id like to add another clown to keep it company. Is there anything wrong with that since they weren't added at the same time? any precautions or hints that I should follow.

Thanks

RIP Sebastian

On the topic of clown fish. i also have a 12 long. I've had a single clown hosting a hammer coral for about 5 months. Its doing great as well as the coral. My question is Id like to add another clown to keep it company. Is there anything wrong with that since they weren't added at the same time? any precautions or hints that I should follow.

Thanks

Clowns are hermaphrodites. Just make sure the one you add is smaller than your current one.

RIP Sebastian

Thanks I was planning that. Will there be any fighting at first, you think they will get along?

Clowns will always fight. It will be vicious at first, but it will get better.

That is definitely too much bioload for that size of a tank.

mmm I think that will be too crowded in 12 gallon

No dwarf angel.

No to the midas, it grows to 6". I also have not seen angels being kept in small aquaria.

You guys wouldn't like my tank :P

RIP Sebastian

Your tank is long, though.

Also beautiful. We can't hate you. You know that, right? :P

A Biocube isn't long, so there isn't any lateral room for them to swim.

Nope, I think I can still hate him haha. But you get a little slack since you're from my area.

Your tank has been my favorite for a long time. I would love to have your eye on coral placement. Dibs if you create a frag collection giveaway :lol:

The OP said a 12 long, that's the same tank... he didn't say a bio cube

Your tank has been my favorite for a long time. I would love to have your eye on coral placement. Dibs if you create a frag collection giveaway :lol:

I don't think I'd ever do a frag collection giveaway. But if for whatever reason you were in the Twin Cities and could transport some frags I'd let you have a few.

Nope, I think I can still hate him haha. But you get a little slack since you're from my area.

:o Are you on the TCMAS forums? If you are ever up for stopping by you are more than welcome to.

I got my second clown today. The LFS said it was tank raised here on Long Island where I live. Any way made sure he /she was smaller than the present one. They are both happily nestled in the hammer coral that the big one had already hosted. No fighting. So far.

:o Are you on the TCMAS forums? If you are ever up for stopping by you are more than welcome to.

I'm not unfortunately, I'll have to check it out. Setting up a new tank so I'll be purchasing corals soon, I always prefer to collect from local reefers.

But my tank is also a 12 gallon long... same exact one as scorched... I even mentioned that in the initial post.

RIP Sebastian

But my tank is also a 12 gallon long... same exact one as scorched... I even mentioned that in the initial post.

Sorry, didn't notice. You're a beginner, and a pair of clowns is gonna max out a 12 gallon.

The pair of clowns in the 12g is the max I'd say. Maybe more experienced aquarists can pull off more but i'd stick to just the pair. Add a shrimp, a crab, snails, hermits and corals.

The pair of clowns in the 12g is the max I'd say. Maybe more experienced aquarists can pull off more but i'd stick to just the pair. Add a shrimp, a crab, snails, hermits and corals.

From having had a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish in a 12g cube-type tank for ~4 years, it was enough bioload and violence and I couldn't see adding any other fish. The females do grow quite large (4" or more) and they get cramped and can injure themselves on coral and other protrusions.

You have a longer tank with some swimming room, which is a big plus.

Archived