Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Stocking opinions

LbulletM

I have a 29gal standard tank. Current inhabitants are a CUC and a Potter's Angel (Christmas present, but doing great!). Will be a mixed reef, currently housing an Octospawn, Torch, 2 Roses (hitchhikers), Occulina Robusta (hitchhiker), rainbow Acan, and Zoas. RFA's (5) and hammers ordered (another Christmas present).

Possible desires:

- Blenny (Starry?)

- Goby (Diamond? I've seen them very actively stirring sand)

- Clownfish pair OR single Clownfish and Wrasse

Looking for potential issues between fish and stocking order. I have some time since I want to set up a quarantine before adding any additional fish. Got lucky with my impromptu angel addition.

Also was curious about adding a shrimp. Pros/Cons, species suggestions.

Thanks!

Littlesardines

Blennies have been known to eat on some corals, sand with Potters angels, so you might want to keep an eye out for that.

Otherwise sounds like a good mix up! I'm partial to wrasses myself, they have a lot of personality. :)

Watch your corals with an angel, they can be coral pickers.

I have never experienced a blenny eating coral but will eat the algae on or around them.

Bicolor blenny is a cool fish. A lot of character to them.

Clowns, well they are just awesome imo.?

Cleaner shrimp or blood reds are very cool. Never had an issue

I currently have a Blood Red Fire Shrimp (Vasic) loves to hide but will come out to eat. Sometimes I will catch him cleaning the fish. I have a Black Ice Clown (Folly) very personable and doesn't scare easy which is good as the cat sometimes remembers that there are fish in there. Folly gets along very well with my Lubbock Fairy Wrasse (Aden). They are like best buds, where you find one you will see the other. The only thing is the Wrasse is a little timid any movement near the tank will have him running for cover but he will be back out within a few seconds once the movement stops to have a look see. Both are very active and make full use of the tank. Wrasse's should have lots of hiding places and swim-thrus as I know mine makes full use of both.

For fun I found out the hard way that Wrasses sleep in the sand. Woke up the first morning found my Wrasse under the sand and believed he was dead. Ended up scaring both of us silly.

Blennies have been known to eat on some corals, sand with Potters angels, so you might want to keep an eye out for that.

Otherwise sounds like a good mix up! I'm partial to wrasses myself, they have a lot of personality. :)

Yea, I've been keeping a hawk eye on my Potters. Model citizen so far and eating pellets like it's his job! I feed him one at a time until he stops right now, since I only have the one fish. My only concern with wrasses is aggression. I would LOVE a melanarus, but unfortunately, I do like having a CUC.

Watch your corals with an angel, they can be coral pickers.

I have never experienced a blenny eating coral but will eat the algae on or around them.

Bicolor blenny is a cool fish. A lot of character to them.

Clowns, well they are just awesome imo.

Cleaner shrimp or blood reds are very cool. Never had an issue

I'll have to look into the bicolors. Obviously easy to get a hold of! I just thought the starrys were really interesting with their little antennae. I think the bicolor will probably stay a little smaller (probably a good idea with 5 fish in a 29), and I really want active fish, so I may consider that.

I currently have a Blood Red Fire Shrimp (Vasic) loves to hide but will come out to eat. Sometimes I will catch him cleaning the fish. I have a Black Ice Clown (Folly) very personable and doesn't scare easy which is good as the cat sometimes remembers that there are fish in there. Folly gets along very well with my Lubbock Fairy Wrasse (Aden). They are like best buds, where you find one you will see the other. The only thing is the Wrasse is a little timid any movement near the tank will have him running for cover but he will be back out within a few seconds once the movement stops to have a look see. Both are very active and make full use of the tank. Wrasse's should have lots of hiding places and swim-thrus as I know mine makes full use of both.

For fun I found out the hard way that Wrasses sleep in the sand. Woke up the first morning found my Wrasse under the sand and believed he was dead. Ended up scaring both of us silly.

I love the blood shrimps. I'll probably go that route then if they're not going to be detrimental to my corals or fish! I purposely designed my aquascape with a lot of "caves" and swim-throughs. My Potters loves them. He found a tunnel that goes from the very front of my tank all the way up through my right side structure to the back. It's cool to see him disappear in the back and then all of a sudden pop out right up front.

Clownfish pair

I'm still considering it as I hear they're great to see together. My wife really wants a wrasse though, so c'est la vie. I might still go with the clown pair, though. I plan on picking up a rainbow BTA that they'll hopefully host.

Thanks for the responses everyone! Are there any requisite stocking order aside from clowns or wrasses last? Also, if I went with the clown pair instead of a wrasse, is there any issue with pairing up differently patterned clowns? e.g. something like a black with a snowflake?

fishfreak0114

As long as they're derived from the species there's no problem with pairing different patterns.

For a wrasse have you looked at pink streaked or possum wrasses? I've never kept one myself but they sure are cute!

I have a tailspot blenny and he has so much personality and is quite an active fish! He hasn't bothered any corals.

My blood shrimp and skunk cleaner both get along fine. They've each picked different spots in the tank to live in. You could probably have both if you wanted.

As long as they're derived from the species there's no problem with pairing different patterns.

For a wrasse have you looked at pink streaked or possum wrasses? I've never kept one myself but they sure are cute!

I have a tailspot blenny and he has so much personality and is quite an active fish! He hasn't bothered any corals.

My blood shrimp and skunk cleaner both get along fine. They've each picked different spots in the tank to live in. You could probably have both if you wanted.

Ok, that's how I understood the clown pairing. Good to have confirmation!

I haven't done much looking at wrasses except for Melanarus and 6-lines (they're just the ones we've seen in stock while looking around and trying to get my wife interested in my new hobby.) I'll have to look into them!

Man, I need a bigger tank. ;-) Too many awesome fish out there!

Awesome on the shrimp. I suppose they're not too high on bio-load? 2 would be fine for a 29 gallon mixed reef with 5 fish?

I would especially watch your Potter's around acans..mine loved them. I also had a fairy wrasse that was so aggressive towards the angel I had to remove it from the tank and that was a 40B. Just a heads up if you're looking into those kinds of wrasses. A pink streaked or possum would probably be more docile. I don't think you will have any problems with stocking order as long as the angel decides to be nice.

Archived