Cultivated Reef

Keeping nitrate high(er) while keeping algae at bay

dandelion

How do you guys do it? I have a low nutrients mixed reef that tests 0 nitrate and 0.03-0.04 phosphate. I turkey baste my rocks every other day. I'm not having a huge battle against it. It's here and there but it's under control. I just don't know how people can have 20ppm nitrates that are more optimal for softies and not have to deal with hair algae as a daily challenge.

Here are some specs of my tank:

6.25 Arc with 5 pounds live rocks

AI prime at about 14W peak. Currently lower because I'm acclimating a new frag.

How do you guys do it? I have a low nutrients mixed reef that tests 0 nitrate and 0.03-0.04 phosphate. I turkey baste my rocks every other day. I'm not having a huge battle against it. It's here and there but it's under control. I just don't know how people can have 20ppm nitrates that are more optimal for softies and not have to deal with hair algae as a daily challenge.

Here are some specs of my tank:

6.25 Arc with 5 pounds live rocks

AI prime at about 14W peak. Currently lower because I'm acclimating a new frag.

its a balancing act, usually its controlled by natural means like snails or urchins, fuges, and such. keep your regular routine, but try adding a liquid food, remember the number are a general guideline for the most part, dont worry about being too exact, if your tank is doing well, keep doing what you are doing

You might try cutting the phosphate level in half. But remember, photosynthetic corals use phosphate to make energy, so don't aim to get rid of it. Lowering phosphate might let you raise the nitrate level without accelerating algae growth.

I'm not looking to do it right now because I have SPS that are thriving. I will soon move my SPS to my new tank and keep this old one as a softie tank. That's why I want to ask how to increase nitrate while keeping algae in check. I already use phosguard to reduce phos and I don't want to hang extra equipments.

Archived