Pod Your Reef

New IM Dropoff Build

jabudda

I purchased 2 Tide nanobox lights over a year ago with the intent of having dual IM 10g Reef tanks. I set up the tanks, but had a minor disaster, the ATO got stuck in the on position & caused a minor flood, fortunately, I used a 1 gallon container. Disgusted, I took down the tanks & scrapped the idea. Put the lights away for another build.

Then, another disaster struck, I was mounting my tv in a new spot with the plans to buy a larger tv. The mounting bracket lag bolts seemed a bit small to me, but I used them anyway with the plans of replacing them once I had the mount in the sweet spot. Finished with mounting & making small adjustments, the tv, wall mount & bolts came out, smashed into my 70g aquarium & knocked me out. When I awoke, my dog was whimpering & licking my face. A warm substance [blood] was all over my face from a bloody nose. Then I noticed a pool of water forming, a leak had developed on the seam of the tank. Fortunately I had been planning on moving the aquarium & had the necessary items staged. I have been tiling & waterproofing the floor in my residence.

This brings me to the IM 20g build, I just wanted a basic tank, no cleanup crew, although, they are present in the form of small critters, mini brittle stars, sponges, bristle worms & other things that crawl around. But no snails or any other things you would normally consider a CuC. No ATO, just me adding about 8oz of water everyday, no protein skimmer & no media. Here is the tank & disaster aftermath. I am using my ecotech mp10 for additional water movement.

The IM tank has been up for about 2 months & I noticed what I deemed excessive bowing of the tank. IM sent me a new one & I noticed it had an extra acrylic piece fastened to reinforce the tank. After my accidents I am even more cautious. Although, I do have a $1 million dollar umbrella policy if I had a serious disaster, being on the 3rd floor of a condo building one can't be too safe & have too much insurance when playing with saltwater & electricity.

I was having a bit of a challenge getting my picture under 1 mb

Here is a side picture, once I get everything transferred to the new dropoff aquarium I will buy a few more corals to fill it in. I'm planning on some mangroves on the top level.

post-87699-0-59426100-1484183046_thumb.jpg

post-87699-0-99341100-1484183257_thumb.jpg

I was having a bit of a challenge getting my picture under 1 mb Here is a side picture, once I get everything transferred to the new dropoff aquarium I will buy a few more corals to fill it in. I'm planning on some mangroves on the top level.

Damn! That's a lot of bad luck. Hopefully things go really smooth this time around. :)

I've had this piece of rock for about 8 years & mini maxi for 5 years. I noticed some yellow sponges taking over, very interesting to see. I've also noticed some bubble algae too...lol

post-87699-0-63060500-1484183579_thumb.jpg

Here is the extra piece of reinforcement acrylic IM added to the replacement aquarium.

Before the disaster my 70g;

After the disaster:

Bowing IM peninsula aquarium:

TV mounted...or so I thought...lol

New TV...my black eyes are almost gone....happy days are here again....lol

post-87699-0-85062100-1484192263_thumb.jpg

post-87699-0-40673200-1484192331_thumb.jpg

post-87699-0-48331300-1484192373_thumb.jpg

post-87699-0-57330800-1484192449_thumb.jpg

post-87699-0-98866500-1484192581_thumb.jpg

post-87699-0-17109300-1484192751_thumb.jpg

Here is the process I've been using to water proof my floor, the red mat is an uncoupling mat, normally used in a bathroom, under the mat is thinset, a seam tape is added with more thinset, then some tile & grout.

post-87699-0-37051900-1484193188_thumb.jpg

post-87699-0-48850200-1484193204_thumb.jpg

post-87699-0-63085300-1484193361_thumb.jpg

Well for crying out loud...they replaced your bowing tank?????? I have the same tank, and it's bowing. And there are two spots I'm watching in the seam that are getting bigger (like bubbles). I think I'll need to contact IM as well! What do you think of the acrylic piece they have now added? Does it seem like that will help? God I hope so. I just wish they made this tank in glass.

I will be following along for sure. My tank thread is in my signature if you want to check mine out (first link) :).

I spoke with Brian at IM & he was fantastic to work with. Originally on BRS I ordered the Panaroma....but they inadvertently sent me the peninsula aquarium. I called to let them know...they offered an exchange but I kept the tank. I haven't gotten around to the tank swap yet, but I know what you mean about bubbles forming in the acrylic seams. I did have the mount in studs, all 4 lag bolts. In retrospect, I should have just used the big ones I had planned to use...lol all 4 bolts had wood in the threads. The builders built a 2x6 box for the tv mount, to further reinforce things, i sistered some additional 2x6 & added L brackets with more GRK 3 inch screws. I figured out a use for 1 of my EcoTech Radion lights, I was inspired by Stevie T & his winter green room. I plan to grow some orchids or succulents. I just have to add an outlet up high for a clean look. I'm also subway tiling the closet & entry walls.

post-87699-0-47561200-1484201686_thumb.jpg

post-87699-0-70157800-1484201847_thumb.jpg

post-87699-0-28072200-1484202074_thumb.jpg

I spoke with Stephanie, and they are sending me a new tank as well :). I'll do the transfer as soon as it arrives, though not really looking forward to that :lol:. But it will be worth the peace of mind. Not that it was consuming me, but I did think about it occasionally. And obviously they decided to put in extra bracing for a reason now. I'll have to reconstruct my screen top to accommodate that brace, shouldn't be difficult at all. I'm so glad you started a thread about this. I would otherwise have never known!

Did IM say what the bowing was from that won't affect the replacement tanks? It would be nice to know if certain batches are affected or not or if it was a problem with manufacturing that is sorted <_<

I spoke with Stephanie, and they are sending me a new tank as well :). I'll do the transfer as soon as it arrives, though not really looking forward to that :lol:. But it will be worth the peace of mind. Not that it was consuming me, but I did think about it occasionally. And obviously they decided to put in extra bracing for a reason now. I'll have to reconstruct my screen top to accommodate that brace, shouldn't be difficult at all. I'm so glad you started a thread about this. I would otherwise have never known!

New tank! :lol:

They added an extra piece of acrylic, similar to a euro brace. I think the bowing was due to the acrylic not being thick enough for the tank size. I would have used 3/4 acrylic. I'm sure the euro brace will keep things in place.

Jesus

This made me laugh... just the best one word response to his posts.

Sorry to hear about your incidents. Hope the new tank works out

This made me laugh... just the best one word response to his posts.

Sorry to hear about your incidents. Hope the new tank works out

Don't Judge me... It is not everyday you see a LG tv kick a humans ass.

:lol:

Why is that funny????

Not necessarily funny I just am happy for you, I love new tanks. Even if its the same one. Its the opportunity to fix anything you regret IMO

Not necessarily funny I just am happy for you, I love new tanks. Even if its the same one. Its the opportunity to fix anything you regret IMO

Oh :D. Thanks! I do regret using a magnetic scraper on my current tank (even though it's safe for acrylic). It has scratched it. I won't be using one of those anymore. I have a long handle acrylic pad now for the easy stuff and not sure what I'll do for the harder stuff. Can't wait to get the new tank!

Archived