Cultivated Reef

Diatoms late to the party?

docshipwreck

So riddle me this...

set my tank up in late october. Since then I've gradually added a clown, flame angel, some cleanup crew, andmost recently 3 smaller zoa frags. I started with Marcos Rocks and sand and the included fritzyme.

I had been using distilled but then found a much cheaper RO source. ( I recently got an RO buddie but until I can get a straight answer on chloramines I havent used that water at all.)

Over the last week I thought coraline was spreading but the spots turned orange-ish brown They are flat and seem crusty, it also then spread to sand. No snot, no fur or anything else.

I have a 20L with a oceanbox designs AIO insert. Since this reared its ugly head I've been trying to change approx 3 gallons every 3 days. My clown has decided to hang up top but otherwise behaviorally seems ok ( eats ok sleeps in normal spot, doesnt seem to be in distress and no funny poop).

Nitrates spiked one time closer to 20 and I immediately changed water but other then that one spike have remained within typical limits.

I know everyone will suggest reading,,,,which I have. I am thinking possibly the water from my RO source.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

It may be silicates in the ro water and nutrients as well causing the algae.

Ro water isn't as pure, it still has nutrients etc in it. Ro/di and distilled is the purest water.

It may be silicates in the ro water and nutrients as well causing the algae.

Ro water isn't as pure, it still has nutrients etc in it. Ro/di and distilled is the purest water.

Thanks clown! Im not sure of the time relation between over feeding and the bloom but I did cut back about 2 weeks ago. I thought maybe silicates and TDS from the water as possibly also a culprit.

I want to use my RO buddie but im still not sure I completely understand the removal process. If I need a chloramine filter or just upgrade to the DI canister.

Thanks clown! Im not sure of the time relation between over feeding and the bloom but I did cut back about 2 weeks ago. I thought maybe silicates and TDS from the water as possibly also a culprit.

I want to use my RO buddie but im still not sure I completely understand the removal process. If I need a chloramine filter or just upgrade to the DI canister.

In regards to the water I can give some answers. Yes, you will want to get a DI canister and run it with your current RO filter. BRS has them for pretty cheap and with smaller tanks, the resin lasts a really long time.

Chloramines are being used more and more because they work better for keeping water clean for human consumption. The issue is that they're tougher to remove. There are specific carbon filters (that go in the RO filter) that are designed to handle chloramines. You can get some from either BRS or Spectrapure. Either one will work just fine.

So to sum things up, DI resin is necessary and I would recommend getting a chloramines-specific carbon filter. You should also have a TDS meter to check the water you get out of it and to check the life/condition of your filter over time.

Regarding the brown stuff, if it appears like a fine dust that is easy to remove then that is usually diatoms. I usually see it first on the inside of spare shells but obviously can be found on rocks, glass, and sand. You don't need to do water changes because of diatoms and they will go away in a month or so. Obviously you do need to keep checking your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and if those get too high then make sure to do water changes to correct that. The only issue is that water changes aren't that great and you need to do large water changes to truly reduce bad parameters. For example, if you have 10 ppm nitrate and do a 20% water change then you still have 8 ppm nitrate in the tank.

Archived