ReefCleaners.org

Started a fowlr tank

Jorge091293

So I started another biocube 29 gallon is up and ready had one false percula clown fish but went to back chamber of tank and died over nigth sorry little guy I was wondering I have two snails in it

I whant a sand cleaner fish that will clean my sand bed is turning brown and thinking of getting pair of false percula clowns does anyone know a good sand cleaning fish and how big does the false get thanks

The tank got cycled but he jumped to the back of the chamber were the water falls to the bioballs so he didn't have a chance petemeters of the water are perfect Condition everything is working fine

I feed bad for the little guy

I whant to get another one but first I whant to get a good sand cleaner fish that will clean the sand to help out with the cleaning any suggestions

Partially Submerged

You seriously need to start using some punctuation.

As for the sand cleaner fish, there are some that like to sift through sand, but it sounds like you should give your tank a bit more time before adding any more fish. The brown stuff is likely diatoms, a type of bacteria growth. Looks nasty but is perfectly normal in new aquariums. Diatom thrives in silicate-rich water, so it tends to pop up in tanks with new sand bed. Go and get a bunch of nassarius snails and cerith snails. The nassarius move through the sand keep it nice and fluffy. The cerith snails love diatoms. Diatom growth tends to go away by itself after a while, but a bunch of snails will speed up the process and help keep your tank cycled.

The tank got cycled but he jumped to the back of the chamber were the water falls to the bioballs so he didn't have a chance petemeters of the water are perfect Condition everything is working fine

I feed bad for the little guy

I whant to get another one but first I whant to get a good sand cleaner fish that will clean the sand to help out with the cleaning any suggestions

Be careful not to overdo it. As mentioned some of this is pretty normal with a new tank and will normalize over time. Getting a bunch of sand sifting animals now might clean it up but then they run out of food later on. 3-5 Nassarius snails would be an appropriate # for that size tank IME.

IME most sand sifters need a lot of sand to sustain them. I've seen a single sleeper goby sift through all of the sand in a 4 ft 120g tank daily. I had one in my 40B and I struggled to keep it fed. Eventually I ran out of fauna in the sand. While the natural approach may seem like the right approach, the manual approach works better. In other words every week when you do your water change use a baster, stick, or gravel vac and clean the sand. This keeps detritus from settling in it.

Archived