Innovative Marine Aquariums

Frogspawn splitting and maybe bailing out?

HybridOfHe

So I have a nice green and white tipped frogspawn that has been doing well. Only after a few months of owning it, both its heads have started splitting. Recently I noticed there is some white skeleton showing underneath one of the splitting heads.

Do you think this is new skeleton forming to accommodate the new head, or is my frogspawn stressed out from flow, light, or water quality issues, and bailing out.

I've had a few very small polyps bail out in the past, but that was either caused by my emerald crab being a dickhead or me bumping into it accidentally while cleaning the tank.

I've attached a photo near the end of the light cycle to get a good shot.

post-91814-0-85860400-1484003127_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I will be eagerly awaiting the completion of the split.I'd say its been splitting for atleast 2 months now, maybe 3 or 4. It sure takes quite a while. The other head in the photo just started splitting about a month ago.

fingerscrossed

That's interesting. Mine usually grow smaller heads from the base tissue which expand outward and form their own stalk. I don't think I've seen a mature head split like this on any of my frogspawns or branching hammers.

ReefSafeSolutions

I've got a big hammer, probably 20-25 heads on it. There are quite a few heads that are in the process of doing this, so I agree with the above...very normal and very awesome!

Archived