ReefCleaners.org

Mandarin Flipping Out When Lights Go Out

FiveGallonSea

FiveGallonSea

Like the title states I have a Blue Mandarin that flips out for about a minute beyond belief when the aquarium lights go out. I have a ramp timer set to 30 minutes (the max) of dimming before the lights go out. Before that the moonlight is on for 4 hours. When it goes black he nervously starts pacing around the tank for about 10-15 seconds before going at full speed towards the top of the tank hitting the hood and coming back down. He does this about 2-3 times before he calms down and immediately goes to sleep. If the hood was not there he would fly out of the tank without a doubt. This worries me for the summer when I plan to go topless for a fan to accommodate.

Any suggestions on how to calm him down?

Thank you.

How long have you had him? I don't think there's much you can do beyond what you're doing. You could try a longer ramp and see if that helps. If he hasn't been in the tank a long time, I'd just give it some time and see if he mellows out.

RIP Sebastian

Mandarins are pelagic spawners, so he may be a little bit triggered by the moonlight that way, even if there isn't a female. What size tank is he in?

Archived