SaltCritters.com

What AIO tank should I get? First time reefer!

tommygun

Hello guys,

So I'm in the market for a reef tank and my living situation has changed so I have a lot more room now. My size range is nano (16-25 gallons) and something high quality with good simple design for a first timer. Any particular products and brands you guys recommend? My max budget is 1000 which puts me in the realm of Red Sea Max but I'm not sure if these high end systems are really worth the cost. Another good option I saw was IM Fusion 25 lagoon. Answers are much appreciated thanks guys!

burtbollinger

Red Sea or Innovative Marine, IMO. I just got a Red Sea and the quality is head and shoulders above anything else I have experienced....but for some money savings, IM looks very nice.

Is the 1000 for the tank only?

Do note that in this hobby, I find that expensive things are usually worth the cost if reviewed highly. Research every piece of equipment for quality and compatibility with other parts you are buying.

I was wondering about the budget as well. You can easily blow 1000 on a 25g real quick. What about the light? That can be a couple of hundred for that size too. Then you need salt,rocks,sand,skimmer,test kits.$$$ All this and still no life in the tank yet. I started with a cube that had lights in the hood. All that together with a small cuc cost me about 1200. Careful with your budget and you'll be fine just plan ahead. You don't want to blow your wad on a glass box if it just holds water and nothing else. You could just fill the tub for that. ??

My budget is $1k maximum for tank AND stand. I notice Red Sea is very nice and aesthetic but IM's 25 Lagoon is highly rated as well and is significantly less money(more money for corals and fish). I'm torn

RIP Sebastian

My budget is $1k maximum for tank AND stand. I notice Red Sea is very nice and aesthetic but IM's 25 Lagoon is highly rated as well and is significantly less money(more money for corals and fish). I'm torn

Not including lights and livestock? It really depends on what you want. High quality and simple- Red Sea Reefer Nano. I wish I had done that. Don't want a sump? Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon or 30L.

burtbollinger

I would NOT wait for Cobalt when we have rock solid proven tanks out there. Zero need to be a guinnea pig beta tester.

I think I'd look at IM Marine if I was in your position. My 2nd choices after Red Sea were the 40g IM and the 25g IM Lagoon.

Seems like a dead even race between Red Sea and IM Fusion tanks. Is there a big filtration efficiency difference or build quality between the two? I'm willing to spend up to $1000 max for TANK + STAND + LIGHTS.

MainelyReefer

Innovative Marine gets my vote, I own three of their tanks all great products they have great customer service and stand by their products, my favorite tank I have from them is the fusion 40 check it out it's more than 25g I know but it's size is nice and will offer more space for similar cost, you'll want more space for coral growth or more corals. The Red Sea is also a great choice though

Might want to hold off a month and see how the Cobalt C-View release goes.

New IM peninsula tanks coming out soon too.

Seriously. C'mon Cobalt, Innovation Marine at least give us details on the release dates. I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now and its going to be one of these.

acb.jpg

I'd go Red Sea Max Nano ($899) or wait to see what the Cobalt tanks are like. IM is crap, you'll end up replacing everything except the glass, and still have to deal with detritus-gathering proprietary rear chambers that only accept mediocre IM skimmers.

OR you could get a Mr. Aqua 12 long and get an AIO kit from Oceanbox designs. With such a shallow tank a 36" no frills Orbit Marine might work.

burtbollinger

I'd go Red Sea Max Nano ($899) or wait to see what the Cobalt tanks are like. IM is crap, you'll end up replacing everything except the glass, and still have to deal with detritus-gathering proprietary rear chambers that only accept mediocre IM skimmers.

OR you could get a Mr. Aqua 12 long and get an AIO kit from Oceanbox designs. With such a shallow tank a 36" no frills Orbit Marine might work.

Reefer 170 bro :)

New IM tanks are available at saltwateraquarium.com I'm grabbing one this week.

Damnit! Now I really want Cobalt to say something. Thanks for letting me know, I'm eyeing that 18g cube, if its everything I'm hyping it up to be thats the direction I'll go but the 14g peninsula is a close second.

Damnit! Now I really want Cobalt to say something. Thanks for letting me know, I'm eyeing that 18g cube, if its everything I'm hyping it up to be thats the direction I'll go but the 14g peninsula is a close second.

i messaged them yesterday and said they will annouce it on social media for pretty soon. Me too im eyeing that 18g. Somebody mentioned that it will be release feb.

Do we know the dimensions of the Cobalt?

I havent come across anything official, but my guess is the 18g will be 16” x 16” x 17”, the 24g will probably be close in dimensions to the IM fusion 25.

Archived