inTank Media Baskets

What do you love about reefing?

vision

I find the hobby challenging, relaxing and rewarding at the same time. I'm not gonna lie either, I'm a total gear head and love to tinker with my reefkeeping toys!

all the symbiotic relationships!

its the main focus of my cadlights 34:

nems and clowns

nems and sexy shrimp

yasha goby and pistol shrimp!

I love my pair of gobies and pistol shrimp.

It's a great hobby and is the only form of fish tank keeping that naturally develops a community around it. You can learn some great lessons, from the benefit of sharing to the problems with communal diseases...

But, right now, I'd have to say the forced patience that comes with keeping a successful reef tank. I feel this is becoming even more valuable as we get further into the instant gratification mindset that has come with the internet and a shrinking world. Sure, nobody sets out to find patience, but looking backwards it's definitely a benefit and as relevant as ever.

You simply can't significantly rush it in this hobby and there's very few shortcuts. It forces a person to do it right when they have certain goals in mind and many times the final product takes months to years to achieve. That's if the journey itself isn't the goal, but for many it is. There's very few other hobbies with that sort of ongoing challenge and ongoing reward.

well said.

honestly i'm just glad people think the same way i do! hahah. ...wait so you're saying it is still weird to have your face glued to a glass box of water for hours at a time?

I love the diversity! The ocean has the most fascinating creatures and I have kept quite a few at one time or another. Right now I have seahorses but I still love predators, like lionfish, eels and puffers.

I love the diversity! The ocean has the most fascinating creatures and I have kept quite a few at one time or another. Right now I have seahorses but I still love predators, like lionfish, eels and puffers.

The difficulty comes in the restraint not to do them all at the same time... ;)

I love every bitty bit of it, from changing the water, testing water parameters and seeing them well within limits, and if borderline or over limit making adjustments to correct it. I like fine tuning. I love gadgets and as we all know aquarium keeping is a gadget lovers paradise. I love that the lighting is handled automatically assuring everyone gets their proper "shut eye" lol. I love filters and watching the water flow back into the tank and knowing that the tank is being turned over 40 times per hour.

I love telling "Alexa" (my helper, love this gal) to turn off filters while I feed, to start and stop timers while I test, to set events marking water changes due ect...

I love watching the tank for hours like all of you, the joy of seeing alls well and flourishing, the joy/satisfaction/accomplishment/payoff far surpasses watching any sitcom on the idiot tube.

Archived