ReefCleaners.org

Help! Fish breathing hard, unresponsive

jfran

The reason you had such a quick cycle is due to the rock you chose. Cured rock often doesn't have a huge cycle.

I hsve had tanks cycle in 10days and some 6 weeks, all depends on rock used and cycle method.

To me if your ammonia, nitrites are 0 right now, most likely shock from frequent salinity changes.

Your sg at 1.025 was perfect, all you need to do is make a little mark on the outside(the side of the tank) of the tank with a marker. Every time the water level drops from that, top up with fresh water. That will keep your salinity at 1.025.

Please invest in a refractometer, I used to use a hydrometer and frankly they are inaccurate, 1 bubble, salt residue, uneven and the reading is different.

As for parameters

Alkalinity is very important especially for corals. If alkalinity is correct, your ph will be too. They work together.

Ph changes throughout the day, its effected by photosynthesis. Don't chase it, don't buffer or alter it.

If you are planning corals, you need to test alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium.

Alk effects ph

Alk and ca work together. As one increases the other one drops

Magnesium controls the balancing of ca and alk. If mag is out of wack, the other 2 won't balance properly.

As for salt mixing. Depending on salt used, depends on mixing instructions but the one definite key is it needs aerating at some point prior to being added, it needs to match temp, and the salinity needs to be correct.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived