inTank Media Baskets

Hydor smart level

RyanRe1n8olt

RyanRe1n8olt

Hello im curious as to what everyone thinks about the hydor smart level? I am very limited to eqipment i can get so what do you guys think about this. I would like an auto top of system running, and this is one of the only ones available to me. Also if i were to run this system on my 20 gallon high tank with a 5 gallon container below for auto top off, what pump would i use as i dont know alot about pumps.

streamline.by.design

I am a shop owner and have installed more of these than I can remember. That being said, I have very mixed feelings.

The pump flow rate is key. If the pump flows to much, it sounds the alarm. If it doesn't flow fast enough, it sounds the alarm. I get so many calls from maintenance customers because the "alarm is going off again". They will be fine for month and then act up for days only to be fine again long term.

It is hard to say what pump due to this. To many variables. So what we do is install a gate valve on the ATO reserve hose. Tweak as needed.

RyanRe1n8olt

I am a shop owner and have installed more of these than I can remember. That being said, I have very mixed feelings.

The pump flow rate is key. If the pump flows to much, it sounds the alarm. If it doesn't flow fast enough, it sounds the alarm. I get so many calls from maintenance customers because the "alarm is going off again". They will be fine for month and then act up for days only to be fine again long term.

It is hard to say what pump due to this. To many variables. So what we do is install a gate valve on the ATO reserve hose. Tweak as needed.

Yeah i heard alot about that happening. Okay if i can figure it out i can do that. However im terrible when it comes to plumbing
burtbollinger

don't let 3.5 star rated items run the most critical elements of your tank. also, youre so new to this...you really wanna get into worrying about DIY plumbing and pump flow rates? Please. No.

As discussed, research Tunze's ATO options. for 100 more, you can have the best ATO on the planet...vs. a piece of trash I wouldn't trust to adjust the water height of my toilet bowl. Save up the extra cash...you will thank me, I promise you. In the meantime, there is no harm at all dumping in a small amount of water daily for top off.

I'd manually top up before using equipment that doesn't have a good reputation.

Manual top up takes 5 mins opposed to plumbing issues, overflows, and alarms going off.

The Hydor ATO is very good; I actually disabled the alarm (not recommended) as my wavemaker caused it to go off regularly. What I really enjoyed about that ATO is you can use your own pump. I am crazy about quieting my tank down so I used an Aqualifter pump. Those things are dead quiet. Worked well for the year I kept it.

I later decided to try the AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro and it is the best I have tried to date when it comes to stability and size. The only downside right now is that when it fills it is quite loud.

I'd manually top up before using equipment that doesn't have a good reputation.

Manual top up takes 5 mins opposed to plumbing issues, overflows, and alarms going off.

Yeah after discussing it with burt im gonna manually top it off until i can afford the tunze auto top off setup. It comes with everything as well so that helps. And burt reccomended that one.

The Hydor ATO is very good; I actually disabled the alarm (not recommended) as my wavemaker caused it to go off regularly. What I really enjoyed about that ATO is you can use your own pump. I am crazy about quieting my tank down so I used an Aqualifter pump. Those things are dead quiet. Worked well for the year I kept it.

I later decided to try the AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro and it is the best I have tried to date when it comes to stability and size. The only downside right now is that when it fills it is quite loud.

After thinking about it im gonna go with the tunze one. It just has a better reputation even though its quit a bit more money. It comes with a pump and plumbing so thats a benifit. And i have a couple other tanks in here where water flow is all i can hear. So sound isnt a problem.

I have run a Hydor Smart Level for two years now on my 6 gallon at work. All you need to do is put a valve between your pump and the tank, and turn down the flow until you find the sweet spot. After that it has worked flawlessly.

BattleAthletics

Ive had avast ato for years without problems. Have a pressure sensor and float to stop the flow in case of overfilling.

I had the Hydor before my Tunze 3155. No chance I would ever go back. Yeah the pump is loud but it runs for 15 seconds every 1-2 hours. Big deal. I trust this thing leaving on vacation for 3 weeks. No way I could do that with the Hydor. My MP-10 on Reef Crest was setting off the alarm. Would never recommend.

Being new to all of this and not the smartest guy in the world...I'd get the AutoAqua Smart ATO...it is what I got and it is pretty much fool proof, comes with the pump too. Just place the it where you want the water level to be at and turn it on and the rest takes care of itself. I got a 4 gallon plastic container at Walmart for a few bucks as my reservoir and every time I do a WC I make sure to top it off.

burtbollinger

Being new to all of this and not the smartest guy in the world...I'd get the AutoAqua Smart ATO...it is what I got and it is pretty much fool proof, comes with the pump too. Just place the it where you want the water level to be at and turn it on and the rest takes care of itself. I got a 4 gallon plastic container at Walmart for a few bucks as my reservoir and every time I do a WC I make sure to top it off.

I hear you, and its probably very good, I dont know...but at that point, you're 50 away from the Tunze.

I hear you, and its probably very good, I dont know...but at that point, you're 50 away from the Tunze.

^^This person speaks truth^^

Archived