ReefCleaners.org

What to put as first fish in evo 13.5

Fishy7798

The live rock I bought for my tank is ready for fish. This is my first saltwater tank. I am doing a clownfish pair, but I was told I can have 3 fish once I get a protein skimmer. I want the clownfish pair to be the last thing I add. I will probably add the first clownfish of the 2 after I add the first fish. Initially, I was going to do a firefish, but to my family, it doesn't look like a saltwater fish. I would like something that has very good colors.

In a 13g, i'd only do the clown pair. Your actual water volume isn't 13.5 and clowns produce a lot of waste.

This is very true. Especially for your first tank - adding three fish to such a small tank would really overload it - skimmer or not. There aren't a lot of protein skimmers that actually work well on smaller nano-sized tanks. I'd stick with the clown pair and forgo the skimmer and perform weekly water changes to keep nutrients in check.

shaneandjohn

This is very true. Especially for your first tank - adding three fish to such a small tank would really overload it - skimmer or not. There aren't a lot of protein skimmers that actually work well on smaller nano-sized tanks. I'd stick with the clown pair and forgo the skimmer and perform weekly water changes to keep nutrients in check.

This is Great Advice that I would highly recommend following.

I wouldn't go with clowns unless you really like them.

Save your room and get something cool, like a female Lubbocks Wrasse.

I wouldn't go with clowns unless you really like them.

Save your room and get something cool, like a female Lubbocks Wrasse.

Those need much more than 13 gallons - more like 50. And can be difficult. I think it is best for a beginner to start with some hardier, more forgiving fish. And personally, I think clownfish are pretty darn cool :)

shaneandjohn

Clownfish are a great starter fish, however, they can become difficult and territorial as they mature growing to 3-4"..

Rainford goby is a good bet! Good colors, and a good fish for a small tank.

make sure you get one that eats frozen. these are notorious for being picky eaters and slowly starve to death, especially in a tank with 2 clowns that are aggressive eaters.

Archived