inTank Media Baskets

Walt Smith 2.1 Flaking Paint

burtbollinger

burtbollinger

I had read that some people experienced this with the Walt Smith 2.1 and I chose to believe they received a bad? batch. My rock was purchased in November 2016 from BRS.

Anyway...I just took a turkey baster to my rocks and a few puffs of it resulted in dozens of large flakes of purple paint being sent into the water...settling on the sandbed. Not the end of the world but kinda lame...and im hoping my clowns didnt ingest any of the flakes.

Good looking, nice stackable rock, but I dont think I can quite recommend it at this point. the purple flakes are rather annoying to clean up.

I had soaked the rock for one month and rinsed vigorously before adding it to the tank to try to avoid this...it didn't help.

I've heard of this with that rock.

I went with the caribsea life rock because there was no reports of the flaking plus it has bacteria in it. I have had no issues.

Just vacuum it up although it does suck. Soon it will be covered in coralline.

Is it really paint?

I haven't used it but I was thinking it was some sort of cured resin coating...

Bummer it flaked though.

My tank I bought used and it came with a ton of that. Didn't like it because it was crumbly, I got rid of 100lbs of it and went with reef cleaners. Highly recommend

burtbollinger

no reason to overreact, demand a refund and pull the rock is there?

no crumbling YET, just the occasional flaking.

(please calm me down)

no reason to overreact, demand a refund and pull the rock is there?

no crumbling YET, just the occasional flaking.

(please calm me down)

No need to freak yet. Contact BRS and see what they suggest. They're a great vendor and will offer some sort of advice I'm sure.

This is a normal condition for man made colored coated live/dry rocks. The coloring may peel, although the severity depends from the manufacturer. Don't sweat it.

I'll stick with the natural Fiji LR from my LFS when i put my tank up. The man made stuff makes me nervous being in a SW tank for a long time. I envision the SW and flow just eroding it over time.

burtbollinger

This is a normal condition for man made colored coated live/dry rocks. The coloring may peel, although the severity depends from the manufacturer. Don't sweat it.

trying not too...all said, its a frustration, not a tank killer.

The Walt smith rocks are cool and look nicely matured without introducing pests.

But it doesn't have much surface area for bacteria so you guys use marine pure blocks down in the sump why don't you guys just use regular dry rock?

Is it because some tanks can't get Caroline?

on a side note...watched your pizza video on vimeo...had the same thing happen to me three weeks ago...legit cried...not even ashamed about it

burtbollinger

Man I got so pissed about that pizza I posted it on the DiGiornio Facebook page. Not to be fragile, but it ruined my afternoon. I'm supposed to get a coupon for another one. Total disaster.

Something's wrong with the recipe I think :)

burtbollinger

flaking is normal.

"Thanks for reaching out to us and great question! We actually used the same rock in the BRS 160 tank and had the same thing happen. It is normal as it is a painted texture, but will not entirely peel off all surfaces. The good news is as the rock ages and cycles the lighter areas will darken and algae will grow over the entire rock and you will never notice! Please let me know if you have any other questions! Hope you have a great day!"

http://imgur.com/a/Zw9xZ

• 3 weeks later...
burtbollinger

As an update, BRS contacted me after I was told it was normal (see above) and offered me whatever I wanted pretty much...refund, replace, etc.

They said they had heard of this thing on occasion but that it was not normal.

I opted for reimbursement of half the purchase price, which felt fair, being I was not going to swap out the rock after 2+ months...

so, the flaking was NOT normal.  

Archived