Top Shelf Aquatics

Good Corals Stocking?

Liambawden

So, I have a nano reef tank, an aqua one 55 I think it is? And I have had it set up for about two months, and I have more live rock than is required for my tank. I have some platy corals and 2 feather dusters, and I also have a small Kenya tree. And then a cross coral bred between a torch and a hammer.

Animal wise, I have a large turbo snail, 2 sand sifting snails, a clam, an aiptasias eating fish and a mandarin dragonet.

The male mandarin has been moved on to frozen food and is now eating fantastically! However, I had a cleaner shrimp, and all of a sudden it has gone missing, and a few days later my female mandarin has been found dead floating around the tank. So I have decided I think I am going to stick to one mandarin, and now I need to know what shrimp to get? Do I get a normal cleaner shrimp (which I find a bit boring) or are there other shrimps people would recommend more so? And I am also getting some slightly brown patched algae areas in the sand, is there any creature people recommend to solve this?

I do not like putting chemicals in my tank and I like to have a complete ecosystem.

I live in the UK and have had a 450 litre reef tank for over 2 years but it is my first nano tank I'm trying to set up so I thought I'd ask others advice!

I'm not sure how the thread title "Good corals stocking" has to do with the question?

For shrimp - cleaner shrimp IMO easily have the best personality. The "blood" shrimp are also pretty cool - and bright red. A bit more shy though IME. You could always try a group of sexy shrimp - they're pretty neat and probably wouldn't get lost in a 55L.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/331177-one-stop-guide-for-your-shrimp/

For the brown areas try to use a small brush or a turkey baster and clean it off. Also make sure the area is getting enough flow. You don't need to use chemicals but you may need to intervene some by way of scrubbing and water changes, etc... 1 snail might not be enough, or properly suited for a tank this size. IMO you might be better off trading the big turbo snail in for a smaller one and maybe a few smaller snails like cerith, astrea, and nerite that will help clean rocks of typical algae build up.

I'd be more concerned about the conditions of your water quality before deciding what new inhabitants to introduce. Within a span of a few days you lost an invertebrate and a fish? How are the other inhabitants in your tank doing?

Archived