Innovative Marine Aquariums

New Pico Build

jfran

Hello all! I posted this same message in the beginners section but I though that I would post it here as well to see if anybody here has any valuable input. Thanks!

I am a freshwater guy who has finally had the guts to start a saltwater tank. Problem is (or maybe its not really a problem at all) is that since I am only 18 years old, my budget was quite slim. So I chose to work with what I already had stored away in my basement: a 3 gallon Eclipse system. That's right. Straight to nano. The plus is that in a few months I will be able to bring it with me to college.

Ok so here is where I am at. Please be gentle with this newb. Teach, don't scold.

Hardware:

3 gallon Marineland Eclipse System with built in filter

Heater

Hydrometer

Thermometer

T5 lighting (if I get around to putting in corals, months down the road, I will get a better bulb)

Software:

RO/DI Saltwater bought from my LFS

1.024 SG

79 degrees F

Live stuff:

2.6 lbs live rock

2 hermit crabs

1 nassarius snail

1 emerald crab

1 black ray goby

I really don't want to add anything more livestock because its such a small system, but I have heard that the goby is better off as a male/female pair (I don't even know how to sex them) and also with a shrimp buddy. Is either of those truly necessary?

Another question: any benefits of macro algae instead of coral? Or maybe doing both?

Maintenance question: is there ever a time when the live rock should be removed to do cleaning? or should the sand just be vacuumed around it?

Please, any successful pico aquarists out there, please bestow upon me the wisdom that you have gained. Haha. Thanks.

Archived