inTank Media Baskets

Switching to RO water

pntbll687

Hey guys,

It's been a long time since I've posted. Short story is, I moved, set up a 200g tank and kept one of my two 25 cubes. My wife got me an aquatic life 3 stage twist in ro unit, I've set it up, flushed, ran 40g through to clear the preservative on the membrane. I now have 8g ready to go for the 25g cube, but I'm reading I should add a ph buffer to it in order to keep it stable.

Is this true? I thought I could just make the ro and mix the salt and go, but maybe not. Any help is much appreciated.

I'll take some pics and a longer post later.

I got it sorted out.

I had stumbled upon some freshwater threads by using Google.

I mixed the salt and tested the ph, about 8.0, which is normal for my tanks. Did the water change, everything is good. Got about 8hrs before the 28g is all set for the 200g water change. Hoping switching to ro water will take care of some brown algae on the sand

Just make sure you test pH of the water that you are introducing to your system, ensuring that the levels match for both to avoid parameter swings. I also mix my saltwater for at least 24 hours before a water change, ensuring the pH, specific gravity and temperature match that of my system, it also ensures that the salt has completely dissolved.

I use instant ocean reef salt. Not gonna switch, the distribution company I work for carries it, so it's economical for me.

I've done both, mixing for 24hrs and mixing for 2hrs, parameters were the same.

The one thing I wish I knew before getting the ro unit, how freaking long it takes!!! I have a float valve I can install on the bucket, but is it safe for the ro unit to have water pressure coming in with nothing going out??

I use instant ocean reef salt. Not gonna switch, the distribution company I work for carries it, so it's economical for me.

I've done both, mixing for 24hrs and mixing for 2hrs, parameters were the same.

The one thing I wish I knew before getting the ro unit, how freaking long it takes!!! I have a float valve I can install on the bucket, but is it safe for the ro unit to have water pressure coming in with nothing going out??

You will want to get an auto shutoff valve. On most of the powered systems, the motor or controller is set to shut off when it senses excessive backpressure on the effluent side. As far as a mechanical float switch, I wouldn't trust one for continuously stopping water from a pressurized source, the shutoff valve just isn't that high of quality IMO.

Here's an instruction sheet from BRS: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/instructions/article/Installing-an-auto-shut-off-valve

There's a number of mechanical and even relay controlled valves, but you would want to use something like this in combination with a float valve to safely shut off the incoming water when the container is full.

Archived