Top Shelf Aquatics

Dark hairy stuff

Canadianeh

Very possible I would say. Along with the Marine glue leeching something it could be using to grow. Again, just use some manual removal and as the glue ages it should go away if you keep up with it. I'm still not convinced it is GHA. It's just in a space that is to dark, and all your rock is so white, you would see more evidence elsewhere. Shine a light into the area and get better pictures. Hopefully more chime in, I'm a lazy reefer and still consider myself a rookie.

It is not on a space that is too dark. All the "darkness" that you see IS the dark thingy in question. Behind the "darkness" is the bright white glue. On my post # 3 first picture (focus within the yellow circle), you can see the black thingy and the black background on the tank.

• 3 weeks later...

I showed the picture to my LFS and they think it is cyno.

I am doing more than 25% WC weekly. Is it a good idea to run a reactor to remove phosphate? Will it help?

I showed the picture to my LFS and they think it is cyno.

I am doing more than 25% WC weekly. Is it a good idea to run a reactor to remove phosphate? Will it help?

Is it spreading? Or you going off the old picture you posted here?

Is it spreading? Or you going off the old picture you posted here?

It is not spreading to more surface area. It is only growing on the dry glue portion, and NOT on rocks. I used Fauna Marin Aquascape glue to join two large rocks.

It is not spreading to more surface area. It is only growing on the dry glue portion, and NOT on rocks. I used Fauna Marin Aquascape glue to join two large rocks.

Let it continue to age and siphon it out as needed. I wouldn't stress over it unless it begins to spread. Doing something drastic for something so small could do more harm then good.

Let it continue to age and siphon it out as needed. I wouldn't stress over it unless it begins to spread. Doing something drastic for something so small could do more harm then good.

so running GFO media reactor will hurt my overall tank?

so running GFO media reactor will hurt my overall tank?

That I cannot answer, as plenty do run GFO and plenty do not. But if you are only doing it because of this little bit of algae, then I don't see it as being necessary. I do not run GFO or any reactors on my tank, so my knowledge is limited here. Hopefully others chime in with more information that you desire.

That I cannot answer, as plenty do run GFO and plenty do not. But if you are only doing it because of this little bit of algae, then I don't see it as being necessary. I do not run GFO or any reactors on my tank, so my knowledge is limited here. Hopefully others chime in with more information that you desire.

It is not algae. It is cyno that ONLY appeared on the dry glue portion that I used to join 2 rocks together.

Without confirmation with a microscope it is hard to be 100% certain. I know cyano comes in many colors, but it doesn't appear to be the usual cyano. I would still be skeptical as to what it is. Either way GFO is normally used to combat phosphates. Have you tested to see what your phosphate levels are currently and if you have an issue to begin with? Your rock looks very new and you have very little algae at the moment. So if you were to have phosphates, getting an accurate reading should be simple at the moment since nothing should really be up taking it. I am not telling you to not run GFO or a reactor, you only asked for opinions. Some love running reactors, while others find different methods of control. I personally wouldn't use anything unless it is required for the sake of simplicity. I know cyano isn't an algae, cyano"bacteria". Best methods of control are controlled feeding and reduction in nitrates, phosphates are less likely to be a problem. I personally remove the mild build up of cyano I get once a month by siphoning it out, but this is my preference.

Lol it's hair algae and it's 100% fine. I gave up reading after people started talking about adding GFO. Way over complicating things.

Also the tank looks really really new to already be doing 25% water changes. How old is it?

Lol it's hair algae and it's 100% fine. I gave up reading after people started talking about adding GFO. Way over complicating things.

Also the tank looks really really new to already be doing 25% water changes. How old is it?

It doesn't look like a normal hair algae and a bit slimy too.

The tank is 3 months old. It is 40 gallons AIO tank. There is 3 inches (2 x 20 lbs bags) of sandbed and 30 lbs of live rocks.

So not sure what the actual water volume.

I do 10 gallons WC weekly. Isn't that more than 25% WC?

I wouldn't run out and start doing reactors either. Some use them to make their lives easier but its not necessary.

Its a small patch of algae. Algae is going to happen in a tank, running out and adding all sorts of products, especially if not needed may just add more issues, like stripping your tank of nutrients.

Simply scrub it and syphon out. Test your nutrients. Some things in this hobby need to be dealt with work, not products.

The tank is fairly new, you have many things ahead of you, i wouldn't stress over a tiny amount of algae.

10g waterchange a week on a 40 seems a bit much to me. 10-15% is enough.

I wouldn't run out and start doing reactors either. Some use them to make their lives easier but its not necessary.

Its a small patch of algae. Algae is going to happen in a tank, running out and adding all sorts of products, especially if not needed may just add more issues, like stripping your tank of nutrients.

Simply scrub it and syphon out. Test your nutrients. Some things in this hobby need to be dealt with work, not products.

The tank is fairly new, you have many things ahead of you, i wouldn't stress over a tiny amount of algae.

10g waterchange a week on a 40 seems a bit much to me. 10-15% is enough.

I don't think it is algae. It almost like accumulated dust texture.

40 gallons AIO - 3" deep sandbed - 30 lbs of rocks = not really sure lol It is not really 40 gallons at the end.

how about 5 gallons weekly WC?

Archived