Top Shelf Aquatics

Dark hairy stuff

Canadianeh

All we can tell is that there is something vague on a rock. You need to get light on the actual subject and try to focus in a bit more. If you tap in the middle of your phone screen it should focus in on whatever is in the center.

My bet is on sponge growth. Where did you get the rock, has it been cycled or kept in a sump?

It looks a lump of hair though.

I purchased brand new dry rock and it has been in tank since I day 1

An emerald crab may eat it, it may not. Manual removal is the best method if its hair algae. Its hard to say by the pic

Finally I was able to pull some of the dark thingy out. Here are the pictures. Any idea?

20170103_204634_zpsnsg1mnqw.jpg
20170103_204631_zpsn3qjicku.jpg
20170103_204619_zpsazct1dr5.jpg
20170103_204608_zps8kyxzpgd.jpg

Weird... The rock looks quite new...

All animals accounted for?

It could just be something that got stuck in the rock before putting it in your tank and over time it's loosed itself?

If it grows back quickly my guess is sponge though - looks too dark for algae but sponges do grow in those little crevices.

Weird... The rock looks quite new...

All animals accounted for?

It could just be something that got stuck in the rock before putting it in your tank and over time it's loosed itself?

If it grows back quickly my guess is sponge though - looks too dark for algae but sponges do grow in those little crevices.

all accounted for

it was already there even before I added animals

sponge danger for tank?

Looks like hair algae to me as well. The tank looks new, don't get a crab or anything. Just yet. Just manually remove the stuff

Looks like hair algae to me as well. The tank looks new, don't get a crab or anything. Just yet. Just manually remove the stuff

I can only remove a tiny bit of it. I can't remove the rest in crevices. It's impossible without taking the whole rock out. That's why getting a CUC to eat it is more attractive option.

There is no guarantee that cuc will eat it. Many will tell you their experiences of buying cuc "known" to eat certain unwanted things but its never a guarantee

There is no guarantee that cuc will eat it. Many will tell you their experiences of buying cuc "known" to eat certain unwanted things but its never a guarantee

Exactly this. If anything, get some snails that eat hair algae. It doesn't look like there's much of it so getting a crab, well, they're opportunistic and if they don't eat that or get hungry after finishing off the hair algae, they will eat other things in your tank such as corals.

Get a siphon next to it as you use a tooth brush to get it all off the rock. If it is an unwanted algae, it's worth the extra work removing it now. I pull rocks out of my tank all the time and take a brush to them and rinse the area I cleaned with fresh water all the time. Prevention and immediate action are often the best solution, don't rely on animals to do a job that you can do better.

Get a siphon next to it as you use a tooth brush to get it all off the rock. If it is an unwanted algae, it's worth the extra work removing it now. I pull rocks out of my tank all the time and take a brush to them and rinse the area I cleaned with fresh water all the time. Prevention and immediate action are often the best solution, don't rely on animals to do a job that you can do better.

I have 3" sandbed and part of the bottom rocks are burried in the sand. If I pull the rocks out that means:

-I may have to break it off due to it is glued to another rock

-I may have to dig all the sand out when I need to put the rock back so that I can place the rock directly on the eggcrate

-the clowns, anemone, and corals may have to spend outside for a couple of hours

I have chaeto in the refuge chamber and running Chemipure Blue right now. I don't understand why would I still get Algae? I feed once to twice a day a tiny small pinch of pellet food the clowns. Should I do larger water change?

I have 3" sandbed and part of the bottom rocks are burried in the sand. If I pull the rocks out that means:

-I may have to break it off due to it is glued to another rock

-I may have to dig all the sand out when I need to put the rock back so that I can place the rock directly on the eggcrate

-the clowns, anemone, and corals may have to spend outside for a couple of hours

I have chaeto in the refuge chamber and running Chemipure Blue right now. I don't understand why would I still get Algae? I feed once to twice a day a tiny small pinch of pellet food the clowns. Should I do larger water change?

It takes a lot of macro to out compete other algae. Your Fuge space needs to be at least 20-30% of your tanks volume to really make a big difference. Your rock looks so new, I think you can just use a siphon and a tooth brush to get in there and suck it all out. You can also use a smaller vinyl tube and a stiff straw with some tooth brush bristles super glued to the end to combine the two and really get into the nook.

My fuge is 90% the volume of my display, but with my stocking and bad habits, I still get unwanted algae, but it remains controllable and removable as long as I get to it early on. I had one of my fuge lights go bad, and while waiting for the new one, just that change alone started growing GHA. Got the new light, manually removed all the GHA, and it has not come back.

It takes a lot of macro to out compete other algae. Your Fuge space needs to be at least 20-30% of your tanks volume to really make a big difference. Your rock looks so new, I think you can just use a siphon and a tooth brush to get in there and suck it all out. You can also use a smaller vinyl tube and a stiff straw with some tooth brush bristles super glued to the end to combine the two and really get into the nook.

My fuge is 90% the volume of my display, but with my stocking and bad habits, I still get unwanted algae, but it remains controllable and removable as long as I get to it early on. I had one of my fuge lights go bad, and while waiting for the new one, just that change alone started growing GHA. Got the new light, manually removed all the GHA, and it has not come back.

One thing that I found it interesting is, this dark thingy can be found only on the connection where I apply Fauna Marin glue to joint two rocks. They actually on the glue parts and not on the rock. They also happen to be kinda facing away from the MP10 and tucked in. Is it possible because of low or no flow area this thing came up?

One thing that I found it interesting is, this dark thingy can be found only on the connection where I apply Fauna Marin glue to joint two rocks. They actually on the glue parts and not on the rock. They also happen to be kinda facing away from the MP10 and tucked in. Is it possible because of low or no flow area this thing came up?

Very possible I would say. Along with the Marine glue leeching something it could be using to grow. Again, just use some manual removal and as the glue ages it should go away if you keep up with it. I'm still not convinced it is GHA. It's just in a space that is to dark, and all your rock is so white, you would see more evidence elsewhere. Shine a light into the area and get better pictures. Hopefully more chime in, I'm a lazy reefer and still consider myself a rookie.

Archived