SaltCritters.com

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

jedimasterben

I didn't know anyone even made front-facing dropoffs. I don't know if it will have the same visual impact as for the most part the rock wall look still dominates the hobby, but I suspect with some expert scaping on your part you can do something with it ;)

• Like 1

Excited to see this.

Me too, it's unusual so I haven't a clue what to do with it. ha ha.

Very very cool tank. It will be fun to see what you do with it!

Thank you Dawn.

I didn't know anyone even made front-facing dropoffs. I don't know if it will have the same visual impact as for the most part the rock wall look still dominates the hobby, but I suspect with some expert scaping on your part you can do something with it ;)

The first post does say first ever or one and only or something grandiose like that. :rolleyes:

Rock wall. You nailed it. That's the look ima go for.

But I'm curious - same impact as what? As peninsula drop offs? As my current tank?

What the what?

But will it have a nook? That's the question.

Will be watching...

No alcoves on the wall where it's going - didn't I text you a picture of my empty apartment to show the sunlight?

Might put my Louis 14 armchairs on either side. I do have a pair of them.

I don't really understand the point of drop-off tanks but I'm sure you'll do something beautiful with it.

That makes 2 of us because I don't either :D

This will be incredible! Enjoy the process :)

Thanks for coming along on the roller coaster.

[wanders in]

nJsj9vN_zpsain9keed.jpg

Ha Ha. Shoulda brought a single malt when you wandered in.

DAMN!

:blush: Stay with me Burt, don't leave okay?

I feel like the drop off can be really well done, but also really easily messed up.

Let's go for the easily messed up look. That way if it's a hair better I can gloat.

Cool tank.... So many possibilities..... Cant wait to see what you do with it.

Thank you, I can't wait to set it up.

What the WHAT!?! Ok... might have to convince Veng to take a trip up north. You know, to "help" Kat.

Yes!!!!! :wub:

• Like 5
Marc.The.Shark

I'm sure it's gonna turn out nice! Your tanks are always visually pleasing. This will make for an easy way to do overhangs & such. I love a good challenge! Following along.....

• Like 1
jedimasterben

The first post does say first ever or one and only or something grandiose like that. :rolleyes:

Rock wall. You nailed it. That's the look ima go for.

But I'm curious - same impact as what? As peninsula drop offs? As my current tank?

If you're going for the rock wall, then this kind of tank doesn't make sense. You're essentially going to have the same view from the front as a normal tank.

Something you can try is to get a bunch of rocks cut flat on one side and mortar them together, and then mortar those at a 90 degree angle to more that are cut flat to almost completely cover the dropoff section. I think that would be one of the only scapes where the dropoff will be noticeable at first glance and will make a visual impact.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

What's in the space under the tank that the dropoff makes? Do you have storage from the side panels? Or is there plumbing going through there?

It's likely sealed off. The side glass is probably one full rectangular panel, that's why the stand comes up to cover it.

• Like 2

If you're going for the rock wall, then this kind of tank doesn't make sense. You're essentially going to have the same view from the front as a normal tank.

Something you can try is to get a bunch of rocks cut flat on one side and mortar them together, and then mortar those at a 90 degree angle to more that are cut flat to almost completely cover the dropoff section. I think that would be one of the only scapes where the dropoff will be noticeable at first glance and will make a visual impact.

Sketch please? I'm trying to understand what you mean. :flower:

And, I was being funny back there, me? rockwall? Pfft.

What's in the space under the tank that the dropoff makes? Do you have storage from the side panels? Or is there plumbing going through there?

Plumbing.

It's likely sealed off. The side glass is probably one full rectangular panel, that's why the stand comes up to cover it.

I believe this is correct.

• Like 1

Oh yea, by the way, keep your damn Aiptasia up there, I found one in the one softie run. Charlie the Copperband was a happy camper to get a snack though. :D

Looks like I'm a go for Fiji on 1.6.17 so if you want anything lemme know so I can add it in there, gonna shoot for 3-4 boxes.

• Like 1