ReefCleaners.org

Kat's METROpolitan: Retired May 2018

metrokat

I forgot the concentration, I'll check with NYFishies for you. But dosing is sporadic. I throw 1-2 ml every other day or 3rd day.

Sporadic dosing doesnt throw off your phosphates?
  • Like 1

Hi,

I have been following the below thread on R2R for a long time. It focuses on dosing Spectracide and is quite helpful, but a lot of newer people asking questions so a lot to read through.

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/potassium-nitrate-spectracide-stump-remover-dosing-steps.215730/

I have found dosing KNO3 to be helpful when fighting Cyano in a NO3 limited tank which has detectable PO4.

I have been using Vibrant for a few months in our tanks. One of which, a zoa only tank, has issues with GHA, turf algae and potentially Bryopsis. Vibrant drops PO4 and NO3 to undetectable levels and for most zoas this is not good. While feeding the fish LRS I was adding PO4, but no source of NO3. Vibrant led to an imbalance in the system and next thing I knew it we had cyano. By dosing KNO3 and bringing the NO3 to around 5 ppm I have found the cyano to die off. Still need to keep PO4 in check.

Some things I have learned:

• It takes a lot more KNO3 to get dectable levels than it does to maintain.
  • I mix a cup of RODI with 2 tablespoons of Spectracide and store in a sealed container.
  • I shake it up before using. Not sure how one would do this if using a dosing pump. I am also not sure if stirring/shaking is required.
  • I dose with a syringe and have been at 2.5 ml per week for a while to keep my 20 gallon system at 5 ppm.
  • I dose into the sump with the skimmer off. No clue it that is required.
  • Like 8