Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Counter-Top 2.1G PICO STAR™ REEF - The Build

Oceanbox Designs

Oceanbox Designs

Starting a new counter-top Pico Reef! I'm calling it the PICO STAR™ tank.

Teaser...

The Basic:

Tank

---

Custom Low-Iron Glass 8x8x8"

Filter

---

Custom Enclosed AIO Filtration w/Aquaclear AC20

Heater

---

50W Mini Heater w/External Controller

What's next? Follow this build to find out :rolleyes:

31777722445_35d796a3cf_c.jpg

Christopher Marks

I'll be following this one! That's a great little cube, looks like it'll be at the edge of your kitchen. What if you had the filter face the wall, so it's viewable from the kitchen side too, like a peninsula style tank?

Oceanbox Designs

Down to the basic!

Fiji pink live sand, 50W mini heater

31710872911_0a96d41508_c.jpg

THE ECOSYSTEM

The main filtration system running an enclosed AIO w/Aquaclear AC20 filter, a new design I've been working on...more details to come.

She's ready for rock and sand...

31789605256_a6cc232ef2_c.jpg

31789604626_70500650c7_c.jpg

Oceanbox Designs

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Something to keep you curious until New Year :)

Live sand, live rock, filter media, and water transferred from my 20L frag tank im taken down so there will be no cycle. My gf is helping me cleaning the rock and moving the good corals over...can't get better than that!!

31503401970_2f7d31ed64_c.jpg

31728819732_1e09b7e8a5_c.jpg

Oceanbox Designs

Dude, everything you touch ends up looking amazing. Can't wait to see where this goes.

I really appreciate the kind words, looking forward to finishing up the setup.

Very nice! Got me wanting to set my pico back up

I've always wanted to start a pico, i bought this tank back 2 years ago but has been in storage until now. The reason im setting this up is because I need to take down the much neglected 20L frag tank and I need a tank to move some of the good corals over but my 12L is already full. This pico would be a good reason as well for the new filter design I was working on.

Oceanbox Designs

Cool looking pico. Following :)

Really like the filter cover. Looks like it surface skims?

Thanks!! It's more than just surface skimming, i'll add more details soon.

Oceanbox Designs

I'll be following this one! That's a great little cube, looks like it'll be at the edge of your kitchen. What if you had the filter face the wall, so it's viewable from the kitchen side too, like a peninsula style tank?

Great suggestion Chris, i might turn it side way later however the reason I decided not to right now is because the wall that you see is actually not going to cover the whole back of the tank and it's going to make it harder to do maintenance with the wall blocking access. I still need to fine tune some design and perhaps adding a back cover to it is entirely enclosed (like the Fluval Edge) so I'll need access to the back for now.

Added light, heater, moved corals and CUC over, waiting for things to clear up...

31634016610_18cc2674ec_c.jpg

This is looking great. What light are you using?

Hi Phuong

This what I was trying to explain to you for my 12 gallon long with AC70. I hope this becomes regular production product. Good luck.

When you start one for my tank let me know . I'll run the prototype lol

Oceanbox Designs

This is looking great. What light are you using?

Thanks! It's a new full spectrum nano light I'm testing and may likely to be offered exclusively in my upcoming reef-ready pico/nano tank system soon, just keeping it on the down low for now as im still testing its capability and features.

Hi Phuong

This what I was trying to explain to you for my 12 gallon long with AC70. I hope this becomes regular production product. Good luck.

When you start one for my tank let me know . I'll run the prototype lol

Thanks Martin! Yes!! I do remember something of nature however this is not exactly the same as what you had in mind, this is a fully integrated AIO filter system powered by the AC20, it's not just a mock up cover (like the Fluval edge). Stay tuned for more exciting updates!

Livestock updates next!!

Benny the Blenny is coming! Known by Tail Spot Blenny, max 2.5", my all time fav nano fish!

tailspot-blenny--54440.jpg

They are such fun, beautiful fish.

I love my Tailspot!

Oceanbox Designs

Benny the blenny That picture looks animated

It's def color processed lol, not my pic though. Blenny has tons of personality, just hope he's not a jumper, eventually i'll be adding a mesh top cover.

They are such fun, beautiful fish.

I love my Tailspot!

+1 Really looking forward to be entertained!

Oceanbox Designs

Updates:

Light snow here in Texas!! But on the warm side, tank is now crystal clear, thanks to the surface skimming! GPS looks happy, acans still recovering from being neglected, CUC are doing their things. Need to purge some babies Aiptasia on the GPS mat and rock :angry:

31771601100_5cb34582e5_c.jpg

31336516773_87cdba4c74_c.jpg

31771600880_32e257d2bf_c.jpg

31336516913_afbf16959f_c.jpg

Looks Beautiful. Is this in production? Pricing?

Thanks bro! Good to see a Viet reefer on here. The short answer is yes, but I don't have a set date yet. This is my personal tank but it is also sort of an experimental/demo tank to test out the new hybrid AIO filter design. You can expect something great along the line in the coming weeks!

Archived