ReefCleaners.org

RIP Sebastian

RIP Sebastian

Hello there everyone,

For those of you who don't know, I have a Nuvo 30L that is slightly under a year old and is lit by a Nanobox Quad.

I have made previous posts in other forums about my parameters, and they have been steadily improving. Here they are as of today:

Cal:390 (it's a little low)

Alk: 10.9 (high, but better than the 13 it was at. It's stable there, too)

Mag:1600 (high)

The reason for the slightly unbalanced parameters is that I have been doing more water changes than usual due to a minor cyano issue that has since been resolved. They should be back to normal within two weeks.

Other than clowns, one of the reasons I was drawn to this hobby was clams. I've been doing a lot of research as of late and was having a hard time finding some definitive answers to some of my questions. I know many of you have been incredibly successful with clams, so I figured that I would ask you guys.

1. What clam do you recommend starting with? I've heard Deresas are a good place to start, but, in my opinion, they aren't very pretty.

2. Where do you have yours in your tank? I know that different clams like different things to attach to. Where do you place your Maximas? Higher or lower on the rock?

3. How much of an impact on your parameters did adding a clam have (cal, alk, mag wise)? I've been working on getting my params stable and probably won't add one until they are-this is wise, no? Or am I over-thinking this?

4. Have any of you bought and raised clams less than three inches? If so, how hard is it to feed them and how often do you? The majority of the ones my LFS has are less than three inches.

5. What is your experience with GFO and clams?

Thanks and Happy Holidays,

Nick

I will be following since I lost my Maximus. Did some research I think it came down to my water being to clean or ampropods eating my clam Im going to try another one soon now That I have the ampropods under control I believe and my tank is little more muture.

Squammosa are usually pretty hardy. As are gold maximas.

As to placement, I've always used what's suggested for each type. Ie; maxima and crocea higher up on rocks. Ifor a gold maxi, a bit lower. Squammis and deresa on the sand bed. Light dependent, of course.

Clams are gonna be alk and cal sponges. Though, they seem to go through spurts for

me. However, when they are growing, they'll suck it up.

I've had about 50/50 luck with tiny clams. 1.5"..... Certainly better luck with larger ones. However, I think I'd have had better luck with the tiny ones if I didn't have a yellow coris wrasse. That bastard ate about $500 worth of tiny maxis.

I've never had a problem using GFO with clams. Be careful with GFO, though. Use too much and you'll end up dropping your cal and alk levels dangerously low.

Lots of fish. I like lots of fish, and I've always used clams as an additional filter. I'll figure what a system can/should handle. Then add 1 or 2 more when I have a clam.

RIP Sebastian

Squammosa are usually pretty hardy. As are gold maximas.

As to placement, I've always used what's suggested for each type. Ie; maxima and crocea higher up on rocks. Ifor a gold maxi, a bit lower. Squammis and deresa on the sand bed. Light dependent, of course.

Clams are gonna be alk and cal sponges. Though, they seem to go through spurts for

me. However, when they are growing, they'll suck it up.

I've had about 50/50 luck with tiny clams. 1.5"..... Certainly better luck with larger ones. However, I think I'd have had better luck with the tiny ones if I didn't have a yellow coris wrasse. That bastard ate about $500 worth of tiny maxis.

I've never had a problem using GFO with clams. Be careful with GFO, though. Use too much and you'll end up dropping your cal and alk levels dangerously low.

Lots of fish. I like lots of fish, and I've always used clams as an additional filter. I'll figure what a system can/should handle. Then add 1 or 2 more when I have a clam.

Thank you! Do you know why people say Crocea are hard to keep? is it because of their light needs?

I'm not really sure. I've only had 2 croceas. One lived for a year, then I gave it to a friend and it died. The other was tiny and was another victim of the yellow coris wrasse. However, that was before I saw what it was doing. So, I thought I had just had a tiny clam die on me.

RIP Sebastian

I'm not really sure. I've only had 2 croceas. One lived for a year, then I gave it to a friend and it died. The other was tiny and was another victim of the yellow coris wrasse. However, that was before I saw what it was doing. So, I thought I had just had a tiny clam die on me.

Interesting. Thank you. I'll probably end up getting a Maxima.

If its your first, I'd suggest a gold. They are, for some reason, unknown to me, all around easier. They require less light, but they just seem to be the easiest of the maxis, even with high light.

Which ever way you go, good luck. They usually end up becoming the center piece of your aquarium. As well as being the part of your livestock you obsess over the most.

Which ever way you go, good luck. They usually end up becoming the center piece of your aquarium. As well as being the part of your livestock you obsess over the most.

totally agree with this-----when i first received my crocea, i used to check on it in the middle of the night like a total weirdo. I am still not sure what i thought might happen. :)

RIP Sebastian

If its your first, I'd suggest a gold. They are, for some reason, unknown to me, all around easier. They require less light, but they just seem to be the easiest of the maxis, even with high light.

Thanks! I figure if it gets too large, it'll be an excuse to upgrade my tank, haha!

totally agree with this-----when i first received my crocea, i used to check on it in the middle of the night like a total weirdo. I am still not sure what i thought might happen. :)

What was your experience with croceas?

Also, if my parameters are not 100% stable, is that okay?

What was your experience with croceas?

Also, if my parameters are not 100% stable, is that okay?

My experience has been great so far. My tank is low tech---no filter or skimmer. I purchased the clam at my 6 month mark and i am now 5 months in and it looks better than ever. (knock on wood) It liked the spot where it was placed and has not moved. I can see white on the scutes now, so it is slowly growing.

No. I meant to say "what?" In Italian, "Cosa" means "what".

Well, then... I've been to the town of What in Italy. Just in passing, though. I had to google it to be sure I was remembering the spelling correctly. The memory is always the second thing to go....

Are Maxima clams ok setting on the sand bed?

They'll do fine. As with any clam, especially a rock dwelling one. Always bury a shell or flat rock under the clam. Otherwise it'll attach it's byssal threads to the glass itself. This making removal a real pain.
RIP Sebastian

Well, then... I've been to the town of What in Italy. Just in passing, though. I had to google it to be sure I was remembering the spelling correctly. The memory is always the second thing to go....

They'll do fine. As with any clam, especially a rock dwelling one. Always bury a shell or flat rock under the clam. Otherwise it'll attach it's byssal threads to the glass itself. This making removal a real pain.

Can I ask what the first is?

IronChefItaly

I'm currently keeping a 6" crocea, 3" derasa and a 1.75" maxima. I agree with the above comments in that clams become significantly more durable with maturity. I've had my crocea through a few moves and a number of parameter swings but it has never displayed signs of stress. As for smaller clams, they can be very picky – maximas particularly. I lost my first one and until a few months ago I worked up the courage to try another one. A few things worth noting..

- Placement is extremely important… adequate lighting and low flow so that the mantle stays fully extended

- Do not move the clam unless absolutely necessary. Get it to attach to something while placed safety on the sand then only move it once it is secured.

- Once your clam is showing signs of stress it is likely a goner, keep an eye on the most exterior ridge of the clam's shell directly beneath the mantle. The shell should show new *white* growth which is the best indicator of good health.

- Attaining a clam from a fellow hobbyist is best – the specimen has proven success in captivity, aquacultured is more common and a far better alternative to wild collected – be careful with clams like the ultra Tahitian maximas.

- Some of the more respected aquaculturers have a focus to culture clams with very specific strains of zooxanthellae that makes them better suited for captivity.

- Do your research to ensure all of your other fish and invertebrates are compatible with clams.

- Inspect or ask to see the underside of the clam, watch for pests or an unhealthy byssal opening

- Once your clam is secured to something, be very gentle as to not tear or stress the byssal threads – though they can be very carefully cut with a razorblade if absolutely necessary.

I've researched the care of clams quite a bit and will do my best to ensure the success of anyone else. Let me know if you have any other questions.

IronChefItaly

I wrote my previous response without even addressing initial questions.

1. If you don't want a derasa, I would recommend a specimen over 4 inches and or that has been kept in another aquarist's tank.

2. My derasa and crocea live directly beneath the LED arrays of my 180W Razor LED. Light is suspended so it's about 20" of water and 12" of air for a combined distance of 32" and the LED peaks at 60% - I'd guess around 150 PAR. Maxima lives on the rockwork at a water depth of 6".

3. Clams can have a huge impact on calcium and alkalinity. It is not uncommon to see 0.5-1.0" of growth a year which can be a sizable mass of calcium carbonate if your clam is already a few inches. Also worth noting, clams as any invertebrate are highly sensitive to swings in salinity so I would highly advise having an auto top off. Minimizing temperature swings is likely worthwhile as well – keep it under plus/minus 1.5 degrees farenheit in 24 hours.

4. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/7/inverts

5. I don't personally use GFO but I also haven't come across any convincing evidence other than anecdotal claims to suggest against its use in a system with clams.

Archived