SaltCritters.com

burtbollinger's Red Sea Reefer 170 (converted to planted)

burtbollinger

burtbollinger

most recent video...4-15-21 post disaster:

video:  

2/15/2020

###

The above is a new tank after around 5 years out of the hobby. This was my last tank.  Shut down due to a paly infestation.  Never put cheap palys in a tank.

Trying to learn the lessons of the past and get exactly what I need the first time vs. the patchwork approach. 

the appoach impulse corals, all additions pre-planned, and good testing kits (Hanna wherever possible).  Minimal fish.

My main inspiration is a tank I recently saw on Reefbuilders.  Seeing this video made me want to dive back in.

Other inspiration is Pelphrey's Reefer videos, a guy on R2R named Broadfield, and what Lawn is doing with his wonderful Reefer 170. 

Eventual Fish:

• 2 Perculas
  • 1 Royal Gramma

Eventual corals:

This will be an LPS tank focused on inexpensive acans on the left side and chalices on the right side.  Specifically Pink Boobies... and Miami Hurricane.  

Tank will be then topped with torches, a few branching hammers and a one very easy SPS (probably stylo).  Zero softies other than rasta and bam bam zoas.  An RFA may be added to the bottom right side of the tank....lots of space for an eventual Space Invader pectinia too, if I can find one.

SPS:

•  Purple & Green Stylo

LPS:

• Duncans, Torches, Gold and Green Branching Hammers, Blastos, Pink Boobies, Chalices, Acans, Space Invader Pectinia

Soft:

• Bam Bam Zoas, Rasta zoas,  Sunny D???, a few ricordea sprinked on the bottom of the tank...

Other:

• Rock Flower Anem.

Using 22 lbs Walt Smith 2.1 rock purchased from BRS 12/16...

2/17 EDIT:

Lot of paint flaking occuring. A very strong 'DO NOT BUY' recommendation.  I even did a 2 week soak and lots of pre-cleaning to prevent... Hundreds of small paint flakes that are too heavy to vacuum out or get sucked into overflow.  

EDIT 8/10/18: 

Looking back, i think I overreacted to this paint flaking.  It flaked...in the end, it didnt hurt anything.  I take back the 'DO NOT BUY' just be aware, I guess.

One concern about this rock is just that it's unproven, and may not be that porous. To counteract, added Marinepure in the sump, and another bit buried in the sand. Using Tropic Eden Tonga Reef Flakes for sand.

• Running an Sicce Syncra 2.0 for main. (install of the green red sea tubing was a pain, but finally got it attached to the stock outlet after about an hour of forcing it) 3/17 EDIT: not a fan of this pump, the dial of this pump's output control makes a rattling noise. Had to remove it.  
  • Old Vortech MP10 x 2 with Ecotech battery backup (opened it up and replaced the battery)
  •  Eheim heater
  • Reefkeeper Lite controlling the heater
  • Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer 
  • Old Tunze ATO
  • Nanobox Duo M on a 15" gooseneck

gallery_14375_8_683475.jpg

• Like 11
  • Wow 1
burtbollinger

Great looking scape! Looking forward to this thread.

Rory

lol, thanks, was starting to freak out a bit that I wasn't being creative enough or something...No wild, jagged, eye catching rocks or anything...it's got a cave, a sloping X-shape and room for the corals I'm planning...and just so happens to kinda look like a boring mound.

• Like 3

Eh. They all look like mounds once they are covered up. I think it's a great rock design for coral placement. What do you think of that Walt Smith rock? I'm torn between getting it or real gulf live rock. Were those the pieces you received or did you have to break them?

burtbollinger

Wow great to see you back BB! I look forward to seeing this progress.

it was one article I read that got me back in...someone was saying, I'm paraphrasing.... that our reef tanks are the most naturally beautiful item anyone could add to their home...that they are living jewels, and nothing else that you can buy can come close to the beauty they provide....

I got to thinking on that and decided I had to dive back in...plus my twins are almost 4 now, and any time they see a fish tank they love it. Looking forward to sharing the hobby with them.

• Like 3
burtbollinger
On 12/15/2016 at 12:29 PM, Eisernes said:

Eh. They all look like mounds once they are covered up. I think it's a great rock design for coral placement. What do you think of that Walt Smith rock? I'm torn between getting it or real gulf live rock. Were those the pieces you received or did you have to break them?

Without diving into unknown chemistry issues these rocks may cause, I really like the rocks that were sent. 22 lb. box came with a bunch of nice shapes, the largest as big as smooshed softballs, and a few the size of smooshed tennis balls. None of the rocks needed to be broken.

A big part of this thread is gonna be covering issues I have with the Walt Smith 2.1...but when you look at that BRS 52 week tank, it looks solid.

EDIT:  my Walt Smith 2.1 is/was a giant flaking purple mess , and I received a refund.   Strongly advise avoiding.

• Like 1
burtbollinger

just dosed ammonia and dr. fritz turbo start 900...here's a look at the sump with the Tunze ATO installed hooked to a temp. bucket on side of tank.

Edit: 16 day cycle.

image2.jpg

image1.jpg

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
burtbollinger

cycling...ammonia is finally 0. Nitrites starting to drop...Nanobox Duo M arrived, really impressive so far...minor issues involving mounting screws, but that was resolved rapidly. Very different coming from MH. I need to stop trying to duplicate the MH look I think...I think I'll like the blue heavy look more once I have some corals.

EDIT:  The PROPER setting for this light on a Reefer (IMO) is 74 on the blues, 20 on the white.  Pushing the whites too high is not recommended.

IMG_0445.jpg

• Like 6
burtbollinger

bought some wood and spray painted it flat white, covered with velcro on both outer edges, and attached it to the back of the stand/wedged against the wall...this prevents kids from messing around with the plugs, etc.

IMG_0446.jpg

I have a pair of clowns with at least somewhat similar coloring (not quite this cool, but there is lots of black on them, which I like...) hopefully waiting once the cycle is over. My LFS has them but only does a 3 day hold...hoping someone won't buy them before I can:

90fd803a897b79c905a420f427821e00.image.7

• Like 2
burtbollinger

Nice! I'll be joining you soon with a Reefer 170 after 6 years out of the hobby.

you waited just long enough :) the reefer 170 is such a treat! what light are you thinking of?

Inspirational! What kind of clownfish is that?? I love it

my LFS is labeling their version of this something like "ultra percula"...but that may or may not mean much. my guess is they are just regular but nice colored perculas (or oscillaris?) They are $35 per fish there.

the exact name of the one in that picture is/was:

Ultra Grade Great Barrier Reef Percula Clown

also not sure if that means anything.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/307666-clownfish-species-variants-and-classification/

it was one article I read that got me back in...someone was saying, I'm paraphrasing.... that our reef tanks are the most naturally beautiful item anyone could add to their home...that they are living jewels, and nothing else that you can buy can come close to the beauty they provide....

I got to thinking on that and decided I had to dive back in...plus my twins are almost 4 now, and any time they see a fish tank they are transfixed. Looking forward to sharing the hobby with them.

Gorgeous tank and sentiment :).
  • Like 1
burtbollinger

just picked these up for New Year's Eve. Went with orange instead of black & white this time for the kids to have colorful fish. They're moving around more than this video indicates...doing a 2 hr. drip using the unused Red Sea ATO tank...I knew it would come in handy for something...

They have been at the same tank in the LFS for about 2 months that I've seen...no one has bought because they are priced just slightly more than most would want to spend on generic clowns...and the owner seemed to want to sell as a pair...they are displaying lots of 'mating' type behaviors...

• Like 3

you waited just long enough :) the reefer 170 is such a treat! what light are you thinking of?

I went with the AI Hydra 26. Should arrive sometime next week.

• Like 1

I saved myself a few bucks and went with the Reefer Deluxe. Comes with the light and mount. Otherwise you have to purchase both and the mount is running ~ $75 on BRS.

• Like 1
burtbollinger

yeah, that looked like a really cool way to get it. also nice to know you're getting a somewhat "offical" light that goes with the tank.

• burtbollinger changed the title to burtbollinger's Red Sea Reefer 170 (converted to planted)