Coral Vue Hydros

Noob Salinity Question! Help):

KuyasNanoReef

KuyasNanoReef

So I started a new tank after taking a break for a few years... Totally got too excited and put everything together way to fast...... I forgot that patience is key in this hobby?

Nothing but live rock in the tank but my salinity is at 1.014. How can I raise it to normal levels again?? Would I make the new batch of salt water, take out some of the tank water, and then add new water at like 1.040 little by little until normal?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!(:

If all you have in there is rock at the moment there's no particular harm done...

I would take out a few gallons, mix it up to a higher salt concentration as you mention, and add it back in until you get to 1.026.

Do take care to establish a hard routine though - as an error like that during a water change could throw the tank off quite a bit. I even find that it helps to write out every single step beforehand so that I can go through a list and make sure I don't forget something when I'm moving fast.

Good luck!

KuyasNanoReef

If all you have in there is rock at the moment there's no particular harm done...

I would take out a few gallons, mix it up to a higher salt concentration as you mention, and add it back in until you get to 1.026.

Do take care to establish a hard routine though - as an error like that during a water change could throw the tank off quite a bit. I even find that it helps to write out every single step beforehand so that I can go through a list and make sure I don't forget something when I'm moving fast.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip! Yeah.... I totally forgot that the slower you go in this hobby, the better things will turn out....am I right? ?

I'll use your tip to keep things logged too... great idea!

Ya, no harm done as theres no livestock. Easy fix, just take water out and mix more salt in it.

You want to use a salinity of 1.025 or 1.026.

Don't forget to top up every day with freshwater to maintain correct salinity

Archived