Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How to dose co2

alexm2251

Can I ask why you need to dose co2?

Edit - NVM I just read some of your other threads.

I have seen Co2 often dosed in Freshwater tanks.

I think there are some setups as easy as using 2 liter bottles, a hose, and a mixture of yeast and sugar. From what I remember - yeast consumes the sugar and the output is carbon dioxide. You can do this in a 2 liter, sealed tight with a hose running from the bottle cap into the tank.

Again - this is what I remember from seeing SEVERAL years ago. Hope that helps.

Since the key to saltwater is stability, I'd recommend against the two-liter sugar water setup. I did this in freshwater planted tanks - the yeast eats through the sugar quickly at the beginning, slows down dramatically, and all of this varies depending on temperature and other factors.

Maybe a paintball canister setup?

Seeing how you're going to be running an experiment and would probably want to minimize confounding variables, I would recommend using a paintball canister setup with a reliable regulator.

If $$ isn't an issue, I would recommend using a quality dual-stage regulator with a 5lb CO2 tank. :).

Since the key to saltwater is stability, I'd recommend against the two-liter sugar water setup. I did this in freshwater planted tanks - the yeast eats through the sugar quickly at the beginning, slows down dramatically, and all of this varies depending on temperature and other factors.

Maybe a paintball canister setup?

Seeing how you're going to be running an experiment and would probably want to minimize confounding variables, I would recommend using a paintball canister setup with a reliable regulator.

If $$ isn't an issue, I would recommend using a quality dual-stage regulator with a 5lb CO2 tank. :).

+1 to these... Dosing Co2 isn't anything new - there are several already proven and established methods in the works. If you have a reason to dose Co2 I would employ one of those methods...

The DIY method has piqued my interest - but mostly due to the "science experiment" aspect of it lol...

Archived