Top Shelf Aquatics

Dosing NOPOX

TankManJay

Hey All,

Im dosing NOPOX at 3mL a day and i noticed my nitrates are in a respectable range. Wondering if i should continue daily dosing or stop? Thanks

How big is your tank?

Hey All,

Im dosing NOPOX at 3mL a day and i noticed my nitrates are in a respectable range. Wondering if i should continue daily dosing or stop? Thanks

Have you determined what was causing the nutrient issue?

There is something that caused it.

My first thing is always determine the cause, then fix it.

Now that you have reduced your nutrients to 0.05, I wouldn't necessarily continue, you don't want to strip the tank.

my skimmer sucks. its the innovative marine ghost skimmer. and it doesn't work great at all. so i would say thats my problem

The instructions tell you how to proceed

Prevention of nuisance algae / accelerated growth LPS and SPS corals

"in the event that the nitrate level drops below 1 ppm cut the daily dose by 50%. Test nitrate two times per week and adjust the dosage accordingly until it stabilizes between 1 and 2.5 ppm"

Enhanced coloration LPS and SPS corals

"in the event that the nitrate level drops below 0.25 ppm or the phosphate drops below 0.02 immediately cut daily dosage by 50%. Test nitrate and phosphate two times per week and adjust the dosage accordingly until they stabilize at desired levels"

So what about those who run no skimmer and have no nutrient issues?

It could be nutrients trapped in sandbed from not vacuuming, over feeding, not cleaning things enough etc etc.

If certain habits aren't changed the problem will come back.

i do 10% water changes on wednesday and sundays. this includes replacing filter socks. taking a toothbrush to the back of the tank wall to scrub off build up, brush off rocks, turkey baste rocks, stirring up the sand to lift the detritus out. so I'm not sure what else can be done.

I would use a gravel vacuum on the sand. Stirring it doesn't remove as much and it also releases detritus into the water column, its harder to get all of it out before it settles back on the sand.

Do you use an hob filter, sump, or aio?

its a all in one. filter socks on both sides,with a innovative marine ghost desktop skimmer on one side and reactor on the other. with marine pure spheres throughout the bottom of the return

How often do you scrub and syphon out the chambers?

How often are the socks switched out? Maybe the socks are the issue. Maybe using floss and replacing it 2-3 times a week would lower the nutrient issues.

Sounds like you have most everything covered . I would cut back to 1ml like suggested earlier and see what happens . If it holds steady then you're good to go .

Archived