ReefCleaners.org

BTA Troubles

werkkrew

Looking for some advice -

I have had the same BTA for about 1.5 years. It seems healthy, but it never really stays put and doesn't really fully expand. It has been this way for the entire 1.5 years I have had it.

It has never let go of rock to go wandering, but it does crawl around the rock work when it moves.

Every time it settles into a spot it likes, it is at the very top of the tank and it will stay 90% behind a rock. It was in that spot for about 8 months until I decided to attempt to relocate it.

I know its not a light issue. I have some extremely demanding SPS and the PAR at the top of the tank at peak is well over 400. I have a feeling it might be moving due to too much flow, so when I tried to relocate it, I made a special rock just for the nem with a couple nice holes in it in a safe area between some rocks where it wouldn't get blasted with too much flow, but it moves every time.

It's not that I expect to be able to put it anywhere I want, but I know the spot it moves to is not optimal for the nem, or for me, so I am trying to coax it into finding a better spot.

Any ideas or tips for figuring out why the nem moves and what conditions it might be looking for?

When it settles down at a spot briefly does it look like there's flow blowing directly at it?

As for coaxing the nem to a spot you prefer... I put cardboard paper on my lid to shade light in areas I don't want it to settle.

When it settles down at a spot briefly does it look like there's flow blowing directly at it?

As for coaxing the nem to a spot you prefer... I put cardboard paper on my lid to shade light in areas I don't want it to settle.

That's a clever idea, I think my issue is too much flow but I can't really confirm.

Does it look like its tentacles gets blown around too vigorously?

That's a clever idea, I think my issue is too much flow but I can't really confirm.

Just let it do its thing.

Agreed.

I had a nem for 14 months, it didn´t move from the spot I originally suggested. Until one day she decided to walk around, the flow was too strong and got caught in the powerhead cover, I managed to rescue it here, but she was too weak to survive, and disappeared after two weeks. I am sure if I had turned down the flow for a few days to allow her to securely find a place, then I could ramp it up again in hopes that she would be satisfied with the spot she picked with the appropriate flow ...or se her move again. you can never know...

My poor BTA is still hanging on. To add insult to injury I sucked her up in the vacuum tube while doing a water change. But her back in the tank and she did reattach herself. time will tell if she actually survives.

If its going behind a rock, theres possibly a chance its searching for less light.

Nems are odd. Some like a lot of light, som don't, same with flow.

RIP Sebastian

If its going behind a rock, theres possibly a chance its searching for less light.

Nems are odd. Some like a lot of light, som don't, same with flow.

Agreed. The best way to help it right now is to let it be.

Archived