Innovative Marine Aquariums

WTF?!

sergieo7

added two rocks yesterday from a well established tank, this a.m I woke up and found hundreds of what look like microbubbles in there, turned off pumps and they are swimming all over and not really getting on the glass..

wondering if anyone has any idea on what the tiny crustaceans could be,.. wickedly difficult to snap a pic since they are microscopic almost but hope you can get an idea with the pic.. lol even though they are just white specs

31237414772_7dfca0f86b_k.jpg

How in the world did you get that many non-benthic (too sleepy to remember the word) pods in there from rocks? I am so jealous.

Feed them. Get a phyto or rotifer supplement or whatever and just feed them.

Then get a fish and watch it become the happiest mofo you've ever seen.

also don't take my advice right now, I'm half-asleep

You're sure they're not bubbles, right?

haha heck yeah!!! that's awesome since I wanted this tank to be a food farm of sorts..

Feed them. Get a phyto or rotifer supplement or whatever and just feed them.

I feed em some steak so they can bulk up. :lol:

okay really hope you all are right!! not bubbles I have video proof.. how do I post it

screw it.. I wanna go to sleep lol.. click the pics, they are vids.

30577367713_85833f1b04_o.jpg.

30577436933_e65ae3e019_o.jpg

one more thing.. pump off or on?? what will be best for these dudes to thrive? besides 4 snails.. and an emerald crab I saved from getting punked in a corner at the lfs by another emerald.. nothing else. I should have let him stay though I haven't seen him

So IME copepods and such tend to hang around the substrate/glass/rock. I'm wondering if they're some type of larvae. Something spawning/hatching in the tank could possibly cause a bunch of tiny creatures in the water column.

Are you sure they're not bubbles? If they're still there tomorrow turn off the pump for a few minutes and note what happens. Do they sink, float, or continue to move?

So IME copepods and such tend to hang around the substrate/glass/rock. I'm wondering if they're some type of larvae. Something spawning/hatching in the tank could possibly cause a bunch of tiny creatures in the water column.

Are you sure they're not bubbles? If they're still there tomorrow turn off the pump for a few minutes and note what happens. Do they sink, float, or continue to move?

Benthic copepods hang out on surfaces, yes :) There are pods that swim, they just.. usually get eaten or stuck in filter floss, which makes keeping a culture in an aquarium with live rock and mechanical filtration all that jazz pretty difficult.

Sea Monkeys.

That was my first thought when I saw em with a magnifying glass. So hopefully they all survive. As of this am, they still look good in there swimming.

Why do I feel like we're getting trolled ??

Hmm..? because you have trust issues? ?

Seriously though all thats in the back chamber is a pump.

Besides the 4 snails, Rock and that small piece ot macro, there's an emerald crab.. should he go?!?!

Any suggestions/advice on how to help these dudes thrive would be much appreciated.

turn off the pump, put rocks in your sink, pour water from tank into toilet. then your system will be perfect.

Here I am turning to all of you for guidance, suggestions, overall help and it's comments like this that perhaps keeps others away from posting here. I'm sure you are a good person in your own way but if you have doubts then all I ask is that you do not contribute to this post. Trying to be funny hiding behind a keyboard is one thing but there's also a time for it. I do have a sense of humor but I don't think comments like this are funny whatsoever when I am asking for assistance.

Seriously though all thats in the back chamber is a pump.

Besides the 4 snails, Rock and that small piece ot macro, there's an emerald crab.. should he go?!?!

Any suggestions/advice on how to help these dudes thrive would be much appreciated.

You will have large numbers of pods through out the tanks life. I have never tried to help them survive they kind of just show up and disappear on there own. I wouldn't try to hard to keep them alive that's my 2 cents. Welcome to Nano Reef as well!!!

Hey Lawn thanks, I think im glad to be here..kinda up n down. Anyhow i guess time will tell. I was a little thrown off on how the tank was that next morning. It was quite a sight, still is which is pretty cool and didnt want them to dissappear / die from lack of food.

Hey Lawn thanks, I think im glad to be here..kinda up n down. Anyhow i guess time will tell. I was a little thrown off on how the tank was that next morning. It was quite a sight, still is which is pretty cool and didnt want them to dissappear / die from lack of food.

You have a tank thread started to keep track of things? That sure is some nice live rock!

I agree with lawn... These things come and go all the time. Whatever they are the population will establish an equilibrium based on environmental constraints. You'll likely see them disappear soon.

But that's okay. You can't really maintain a sufficient population of reef fauna in a 5g tank to not feed. So enjoy while them they're there. What are your eventual plans for this tank?

Even if its short lived, an amazing thing nonetheless. Plans are just macro, a few easy softies and let the rock grow whatever it must. Perhaps a shrimp, filter feeding crab? It's way to small for most fish I think so livestock choices are extremely limited. Any suggestions?

I just set up a Fluval Spec 3 - 2 sexy shrimp and a pom pom crab. Pretty interesting little tank! A porcelain crab would work nicely also, and a variety of shrimp would fit I'm sure... What's your water volume?

Oh nice, got a thread / pics??

That's what I was thinking but I'm not sure on shrimp.. I do however really like the porcelain and Pom Pom and would like having both in there but not sure if the would be compatible.

I would love two harlequin shrimp but I have to figure out a good asternia starfish source, I think they're kinda cool, plus it would be a food source. I just can't see myself getting a chocolate chip starfish and chopping its leg off every now and then..kinda messed up.

Plus also have one or two, depending on size,, porcelain crab since they are filter feeders.

It's a 4 gal Nuvo

Archived