Innovative Marine Aquariums

HELP! Clownfish Spawning/Hatching process

Najay343

I have a mature ocellaris Clown pair. They spawned 3 weeks ago, I did a lot of research and I'm aware of the rotifers and fineky eating of only live foods for the first few months. I am looking for some one on one advice here or perhaps someone to go through the process with me.

My tank is the IM Fusion 10. Have two over grown anemones and the clowns are the only fish in there with some snails. There is only one LR in there that all the corals and anemones are attached too so removing the rock after eggs are laid are not an option.

This most recent hatch I turned pumps off just before night and bumped heat up to 80. I checked back about an hour later and found a handful of fry swimming and the ambient lighting drew the fry to the surface. I caught the fry using a drinking glass and was as gentle as possible.

The fry tank I set up was 4.5 gallon cube. No filter just small air stone and heater. I had purchased some live rotifers and added them to the fry tank. I caught about 20 fry the first night, none lasted longer than an hour. I didn't bother catching the rest that hatched over a 4 days period as I didn't have time and was not prepared.

Anyway, clowns spawned again today, on the rock, despite me adding a small flower pot in hopes they lay in it. So seems as if I will be fishing the fry out again unless anyone know about am how to remove eggs from rock?

I would also like recommendations for Rotifer source for both the rotifers and rotifer food. Tried eBay, wasn't empressed. I understand I should and will be setting up a hatchery in a 5 gallon bucket this time before the hatch.

Any advice is appreciated. Eggs laid within the last hour, the clock has begun, Day 1.

RIP Sebastian

I have a mature ocellaris Clown pair. They spawned 3 weeks ago, I did a lot of research and I'm aware of the rotifers and fineky eating of only live foods for the first few months. I am looking for some one on one advice here or perhaps someone to go through the process with me.

My tank is the IM Fusion 10. Have two over grown anemones and the clowns are the only fish in there with some snails. There is only one LR in there that all the corals and anemones are attached too so removing the rock after eggs are laid are not an option.

This most recent hatch I turned pumps off just before night and bumped heat up to 80. I checked back about an hour later and found a handful of fry swimming and the ambient lighting drew the fry to the surface. I caught the fry using a drinking glass and was as gentle as possible.

The fry tank I set up was 4.5 gallon cube. No filter just small air stone and heater. I had purchased some live rotifers and added them to the fry tank. I caught about 20 fry the first night, none lasted longer than an hour. I didn't bother catching the rest that hatched over a 4 days period as I didn't have time and was not prepared.

Anyway, clowns spawned again today, on the rock, despite me adding a small flower pot in hopes they lay in it. So seems as if I will be fishing the fry out again unless anyone know about am how to remove eggs from rock?

I would also like recommendations for Rotifer source for both the rotifers and rotifer food. Tried eBay, wasn't empressed. I understand I should and will be setting up a hatchery in a 5 gallon bucket this time before the hatch.

Any advice is appreciated. Eggs laid within the last hour, the clock has begun, Day 1.

Once the lights are out at night, they will hatch. Shine a flashlight into the tank after they hatched and they come to it. As they gather around the light, suck them out of the tank using a gravel vacuum- they won't be injured. I have heard that Reed Mariculture is a good rotifer supplier. They offer a kit for the rotifers, too.

Good Luck!

Nick

Archived