Cultivated Reef

A work in progress and my POOR BTA

uwharrie

This is my 4.2 Pico from Micro-Reef. It is still very much a work in progress. I currently have a few snails, hermits and a very tiny Emerald Crab along with a Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp. It also houses my VERY unhappy BTA. The BTA was in the 29 gal but my bitch of a Maroon Clown beat it up. I had no choice but to move it. It is so unhappy. Not sure what to do to help it, I have increased flow. increased light, still pissed offIMG_0076.jpgIMG_0077.jpgThis is what it looks like at its best. I feel so bad for it.

RIP Sebastian

This is my 4.2 Pico from Micro-Reef. It is still very much a work in progress. I currently have a few snails, hermits and a very tiny Emerald Crab along with a Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp. It also houses my VERY unhappy BTA. The BTA was in the 29 gal but my bitch of a Maroon Clown beat it up. I had no choice but to move it. It is so unhappy. Not sure what to do to help it, I have increased flow. increased light, still pissed offIMG_0076.jpgIMG_0077.jpgThis is what it looks like at its best. I feel so bad for it.

If it's that angry, there is probably a nutrient issue. It is very difficult to keep a nem in a 20, let alone a pico. I would consider removing it or giving it to your LFS for credit.

It was in a 29 gal. Only moved it as the clown was beating it up. I see lots of folks here keeping Nems in 20-30 gal tanks. My carpets anf RFAs are doing great in the 29. I have tried to offer food. Guess I really need to get rid of the clown

RIP Sebastian

It was in a 29 gal. Only moved it as the clown was beating it up. I see lots of folks here keeping Nems in 20-30 gal tanks. My carpets anf RFAs are doing great in the 29. I have tried to offer food. Guess I really need to get rid of the clown

Maroon's are tough on anemones, but will always host BTAs. Percs and Occies naturally host Sebastian and Ritterris, but those are extremely difficult to care for. Many have Percs or Occies that do host BTAS, but mine do not.

Maroon's are tough on anemones, but will always host BTAs. Percs and Occies naturally host Sebastian and Ritterris, but those are extremely difficult to care for. Many have Percs or Occies that do host BTAS, but mine do not.

tough was an understatement. I need to rehome the Maroon and get a pair of Occies. !

In my not at all expert opinion the rough treatment by the clown has stressed the BTA to a point that it is susceptible to infection, and that it will eventually kill it if left alone. Getting it to some kind of hospital tank and treating with Cipro might bring it back.

Clarkii clowns arent to harsh on their anemones, and they really love bubbletips as well so you might try that one. However they are very notorious and teritorial over other fishes.

I had a pair in my 12 gal before and they even bullied a nasty damsel to death. The only thing they wont bother in there is the pistol shrimp

Archived