Coral Vue Hydros

Help please. I didn't buy enough water

fr0ntsight

Hello! I am trying to setup my first aquarium. Its a 28g Nano Cube. I bought some live rock and sand and only bought like 10G of water for it. I was going to go back and get another 10 but they closed. I've filled the tank up with the 10 gallons and the sand and live rock. Is there any way I can continue filling it tonight? I have an RO filter at home but I'm not sure about adding the salt. Is it safe to wait until tomorrow afternoon? Or should I top it off with regular RO water? Please any suggestions would help. Thank you.

post-92752-0-90393600-1480649526_thumb.jpg

Try and get the rock all under water, don't scape just set up flat.

If you can mix your own then do it and add to tank.

If the rock was always wet then keeping it that way is best. You don't need the water moving yet. You're only trying to preserve bacteria.

Thanks StevieT and Newstead! I'll just unscape it so the water covers it all and then get more water tomorrow. I wasn't sure if I needed the water moving or not and right now the water doesn't reach the pumps or overflow holes. Sounds like that is the better way to go then adding RO water and losing some of my salinity. Does that sound ok?

Also, do I need to turn on the lights? does it matter if the hood is open or closed? Probably overthinking it at this point but all this stuff emptied my saving account and I really don't want to lose it on my first night :) Thanks again for all your help! I'm definitely going to be spending quite a bit of time on nano-reef.com.

See the pic now as well, plenty in there. Just get it under water. No lights close the hood it doesn't really matter. Bacteria doesn't care.

If you have a heater and pump put it in the water. If not, well sit on the tank all night to keep it warm like a bird.

If you have RO and salt now would be a good time to learn to mix, much cheaper than going to the LFS and stable.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/154868-steviets-how-to-change-water-guide/

I don't think I have a heater. I only got what came with the kit. Is a heater something I am going to have to get? I do have the 2 pumps that it came with but they are behind the wall and the water doesn't quite reach the hole where the pump is. Can I take the pump out from the back and just put it in the tank? Thanks again for your help. It's really cool having this community available! I'm not sure how i'm going to last 4 week without putting any fish or corals in though :) Oh almost forgot, the manual said to rinse the filter. I'm assuming that is the "media cage" in the attached photo. When I run it through water and give it a shake a bunch of black comes out and it says to rinse until the water is clear but i don't see how it will ever be clear as long as that carbon stuff is in there.

post-92752-0-63591400-1480652693_thumb.jpg

post-92752-0-02188300-1480652700_thumb.jpg

You really should have all your equipment in line before starting. Yes a heater in most climates is necessary.

The pump can be removed and put into the water. You'll never rinse carbon clean, consider upgrading that crap basket and to better filter media. Toss the bioballs now don't use them. Same with the sponge use filter floss.

I'll pick up a small heater tomorrow when I grab the rest of the water. I'm in Los Angeles so its usually pretty warm but better to play it safe. Which ones are the bioballs? is it the white ceramic things? The aquarium near my house is pretty solid so they should be able to get me what I need tomorrow. Is the sponge in the media basket or are you talking about the 2 sponges that sit next to the pumps? Sorry for my ignorance. I have never setup an aquarium before but really want to do it the right way and build my own after I get my bearings.

White things are bio balls

I see a sponge on top of the media basket

If there are sponges by the pumps remove them as well after your tank clears after aquascape.

Thanks StevieT . I've removed the sponge from the basket as well as the bag of bio balls. I'll let the tank run for a few weeks with just the pump sponges then remove those as well. Tomorrow will get a little heater and a better basket :) This is exciting! I can't wait to have everything setup properly.

I wouldn't put the pump in the water until you have a heater as well it will just make the water get cold faster. Good luck it looks like you may have a lot of research to do.

Thanks StevieT. Will do. I'll upload some pics as soon as i get it setup. @RJWalters Thanks for the tip! You are absolutely right, I have A LOT to learn. Makes it all the more fun :) Starting an aquarium especially a reef aquarium as been on my mind for a few years now. I figured I would start with something that was "simple" and included everything I needed, so I went with the nano cube 28g. I am already thinking about my next tank. I do a TON of SCUBA diving and really love coral and tropical fish so it gives me incentive to invest in this as a hobby. I found nano-reef.com tonight while i was googling for some answers and so far this community has been amazing. Everyone seems to have a real passion for Aquaculture here and have been nothing but really helpful and super friendly. I'm going to update my post with pics as I go and would love any feedback. Thanks for all your help so far everyone. I probably would have ended up filling the rest of the tank with just RO water and mess up the salinity.

RIP Sebastian

Thanks StevieT. Will do. I'll upload some pics as soon as i get it setup. @RJWalters Thanks for the tip! You are absolutely right, I have A LOT to learn. Makes it all the more fun :) Starting an aquarium especially a reef aquarium as been on my mind for a few years now. I figured I would start with something that was "simple" and included everything I needed, so I went with the nano cube 28g. I am already thinking about my next tank. I do a TON of SCUBA diving and really love coral and tropical fish so it gives me incentive to invest in this as a hobby. I found nano-reef.com tonight while i was googling for some answers and so far this community has been amazing. Everyone seems to have a real passion for Aquaculture here and have been nothing but really helpful and super friendly. I'm going to update my post with pics as I go and would love any feedback. Thanks for all your help so far everyone. I probably would have ended up filling the rest of the tank with just RO water and mess up the salinity.

This hobby is all about patience and research. No offense, but you clearly need to do some. Yo can cycle the tank, but I highly suggest you wait to add anything until you know what you are doing.

Nick

Adding plain ro water would be fine to cover the rocks. It would change salinity level but in a brand new tank you can just add salt.

I would not advise using the bioballs, if they aren't clesned regularly they will become a nutrient trap causing nitrate and phosphate issues.

Same goes for the sponge. Most use filter floss which is replaced 1-3 times a week.

With the rock you have. Is it liverock or dry rock? Cycling is different depending on the rock you used.

You will need a heater and powerhead. You will also need test kits. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate to start.

Once you start adding corals calcium, alk, magnesium will be needed.

Making your own salt water is far better than using pre made or LFS. Its cheaper and you have ultimate control of parameters and salinity.

Remember, every day water evaporates. this needs to be topped up with fresh ro water(not salt water) and then salinity checked with a refractometer.

I agree with RIP. It sounds like you need to do some research. During the 4 weeks of cycling, I suggest a lot of researching on reef keeping: weekly maintenance, feeding, corals, water chemistry.

Welcome - not a bad choice on tank though I think you may find the CFL lighting to be less than ideal. The CFL will get pretty warm and during summer months you may have difficulty keeping the temps down. Compounding this is the tank having a lid and being next to a window. Also the bulbs on those tanks are pretty expensive ($50) so replacing it every 9-12 months is a pain... Might want to look into getting an LED light at some point.

As for the other stuff, I agree for the most part... Just know that there is nothing special about 4 weeks. When we say "cycle" that just means that the right bacteria are present in the system. I would continue to do research on cycling methods and choose the right one for your situation. Also take the time now to research a few topics such as water quality & testing, fish & coral compatibility, and it also helps to have a maintenance routine sort of laid out before you get everything going too much.

You might want to take a look at bulk reef supply youtube channel they have a lot of good info on there that may help you out getting started.

You really should have all your equipment in line before starting. Yes a heater in most climates is necessary.

The pump can be removed and put into the water. You'll never rinse carbon clean, consider upgrading that crap basket and to better filter media. Toss the bioballs now don't use them. Same with the sponge use filter floss.

An upgraded basket? Whats that? Link?

Thanks guys! The plan for the next few weeks is definitely in researching and figuring out a game plan. Since the cycle process takes a while I just wanted to get a jump start on that part so I have some time. I got the rest of the water today and have both pumps and the filter operating well. I'm going to order a small heater and the floss in the meantime. @Clown79 Its Live Rock and live sand and 20G of purified ocean water. I attached a photo of the tank nice and full with both pumps running. Can't wait for it to clear up so I can see the rocks!

post-92752-0-65849700-1480717856_thumb.jpg

You have a store?

For someone with 17,0000 posts I'm a bit surprised, and a bit flattered. Looks like you have purchased from us in the past, or at least owned some of our product.

But yes, inTank was started on Nano-Reef over 8 years ago and is still a sponsor

Ok. Liverock should cycle the tank with no addition of anything.

If you had used dry rock you would need to dose ammonia and bacteria.

The cycle may go quickly or slowly, i've had cycles in 10 days, 4 weeks, and 6 weeks.

You will need to test to ensure the cycle begins and ends

For someone with 17,0000 posts I'm a bit surprised, and a bit flattered. Looks like you have purchased from us in the past, or at least owned some of our product.

But yes, inTank was started on Nano-Reef over 8 years ago and is still a sponsor

Stevie. Im joking with you. Keep your water wet and go get some blow.

Archived