ReefCleaners.org

Well sh--t! Another newby mistake

uwharrie

So today I visited one of the "box" pet stores (PC) and picked up two chocolate chip starfish, only to find they are NOT reef safe.

YES I know I should not count on the BIG box store folks to know what is what... Thank goodness for this forum that showed me these cute critters will EAT my Zoa. softies ect! Good thing I have a friend with a HUGE sump willing to give them a home.

I SO have so much to learn

Yeah I'm not exactly sure why so many stores even stock CC stars... Like pretty much every one.

If you have a harlequin shrimp though you sort of count on being able to buy cc stars cheap though... Or use the technique where you get 1 or 2 stars and alternate removing pieces of it for shrimp food.

I still have to have somewhere to house the starfish. and not sure I can bring myself to chop off parts. I know they grow back but still...

I really need to learn not to impulse buy, but when the nearest store is well over an hour away! ( and a person at one fish store said to get CC if I wanted an "interesting small SF"

If the store's over an hour away, that's an even better reason to do the research before going through the trouble of going, right? :)

Figure out how you want to stock the tank, then work out the schedule (peaceful inhabitants first, etc), then plan your store trips. That way you get plenty of time to google things, plenty of time to get second opinions, and you'll feel educated and confident enough to tell the store employees to shove it. :P

Ya, they are great food for the shrimp.

Starfish aren't easy to keep alive in tanks, especially new tanks.

Google is your friend. I use it anytime i question something in the store or my memory.

• 5 weeks later...

The starfish are now living in the sump of a friend's 200 gal system. I love starfish and have a sandsifter but would love to have one that will stay out at least part of the time

Its been in the tank for over 6 months, never bothered my corals and is doing well. So why would it be a mistake?

You can count that sand sifting star as your second newb mistake.

Archived