Cultivated Reef

Water storage for RODI

my_sons_reef

Wondering what you guys use to store your RODI water. I have been using two 5 gallon water jugs and then a bucket for mixing when its time for a water change. I happened to be in my dads storage this past weekend and found a green 55gallon barrel he used to have for his pressure washer, http://www.homedepot.com/p/55-Gal-Blue-Industrial-Plastic-Drum-PTH0933/205845768, looks like that but Green and with a outdoor brass water faucet in one of the two holes.

Now its never had any chemicals in it but regular tap water. I still would like to clean it before any use.

Opinions, Would it be best to use it as a RODI storage or use it as a container with pre-mixed saltwater and keep using the 5 gallon jugs for top off?

Open to Ideas

Thanks

SouthFlorida_Tron

ya i have a nano reef..... 55 gallons for me is ridiculously overkill..

I just use a few 1 gallon glass jars to keep up my reservoir when it gets low and when its time to make saltwater i brew fresh....

I don't see the downside of having a large storage containers if you have the space. You can make all the fw at once and store in there and fill up your 5 gallon jugs from the larger container. That way when you upgrade to a larger tank , things will be easier. Just to be sure that its very clean and never used with chemicals as you stated.

Uhm.

Yes its something I am going to need to remove completely or replace with a PVC one.

I'll either replace it and lay it horizontally on a stand but would only be able to fill it 3/4 the way to the second opening

OR

Keep it vertical and remove it and place a cap on that end to be able to mix salt or just keep water. I would need to either siphon the water when needed or find a small pump that will be able to push water up.

ya i have a nano reef..... 55 gallons for me is ridiculously overkill..

I just use a few 1 gallon glass jars to keep up my reservoir when it gets low and when its time to make saltwater i brew fresh....

I had a nano cube and the 5 gal jugs were perfect but with my new system and potentially using the nano cube again its time for more water :)

I don't see the downside of having a large storage containers if you have the space. You can make all the fw at once and store in there and fill up your 5 gallon jugs from the larger container. That way when you upgrade to a larger tank , things will be easier. Just to be sure that its very clean and never used with chemicals as you stated.

I plan on keeping it in the garage next to my fish supply corner.

Yea I use a 20 gallon brute but regret not buying the 55 gal so I don't have to hook up my rodi system as often. I usually mix the water all at once then switch the heater and pump on 5 or so hours before the water change and test salinity before to make sure its right.

Id say just keep pumps in there to have the water moving

Right, I didn't think about that for keeping the water well aerated for long term use.

Current water schedule is 10 gallons weekly with about 1.5-2 gallons top off weekly

mountainstatereefer

I use 1 gallon jugs from when I used to run distilled water from the grocery store.

With a nano/pico you don't need much on hand and its easier to mix salt knowing exactly how much water you have added to your mixing bucket, as most salt mixes are a xx cups per xx gallons, etc.

My $0.02 and what works for me may not work for you.

EDIT: Just seen where you explained the need for more water.

I keep a 5 gallon bucket of RO/DI water on hand and another 5 gallon bucket of saltwater on hand. I keep both on my workbench in the garage. I keep a powerhead running in the saltwater bucket. No heaters for either bucket.

What you suggest is fine. I only have a 10g tank so 55 gallons would take me damn near a year to go through. My tank only evaps a gallon every 8 days or so. But if you have the room to do it go for it!

Archived