Cultivated Reef

Aquaforest

davy jones

Ive decided that since there isnt much information available about the aquaforest line of products here in the US as well as the fact that i could get it on sale for black friday i figured why not and bought most of the items in their *guide*

Ill be doing a sort of progress type post here for people to follow along with if anyone is interested. If not then i guess im just using the thread to log information for myself haha

Products:
Reef Salt - Packaged nice, like the bucket it comes with. Havent used it as of right now.
Bio S - Bacteria additive, nice little bottle with easy instructions. 1 drop per 27 gallons daily first 2 weeks, then use after a large waterchange, fish addition or fish loss. Dosed 3 drops last night.
AF Amino Mix - Same bottle as the Bio S (and all other additives i guess) dosing of 1ml per 27 gallons every other day after lights out. Dosed 3 drops last night after lights out.
AF Build - Claims to assist corals in uptake of calcium and alk, looks similar to Kz Coral snow but doesnt make the water as cloudy. Same dose as above but i dosed this am while lights were still out
AF Energy - I think it is similar to red sea energy A and B type products. Even has a flourecent green color like they do. Dosed 3 drops this morning while lights were out.
AF Vitality - Not sure what is in this but it is supposed to help corals with their slime coat and heal/prevent issues. A destressor of sorts im guessing. Dosed 3 drops this morning as lights were out.
FishV - Viatmins for the fish. Personally i think this is kind of a gimick as the frozen mysis isnt goign to absorb any of this but whatever, it was less than $7 so what the hell, added 1 drop to the shrimp cube as it thawed.

I plan on doing a night and morning after dosing schedule of the products i have. Ill dose 2 bottles at night and the other 3 in the morning before work. Then per the instructions ill skip a day and do it all over again.

I plan on buying pro bio s and -np pro as well but this is good for now. Also will make the switch to the Probiotic salt when i run out of the stuff i have (was out of stock when i made my order)

Information that may or may not be pertinant..
-Vertex omega 150 skimmer
-Seachems Matrix 2L in various sump chambers
-Using red sea no3po4x recently as i have high nitrates
-I think my red sea no3 and po4 tests are bad.. Showing 60+ nitrates and 0 Phosphates.. even after a 20 gallon waterchange on a 65 gallon system. I have 0 algae on the rocks and scrape the glass every ~4 days. I plan on testing a brand new batch of saltwater to see what the kit reads..
-I dont run carbon or GFO, but i might set my brs reactor up with the AF carbon and zeomix and maybe the phosphate minus (if i get a second test and the levels are crazy out of whack)
-I have almost no polyp extension from any of my sticks. Aside from the Stylo, which I dont think is doing too good.
-I picked up the upgrade from a 4 stage to a 6 stage ro/di thing during the sale too. Maybe something isnt getting removed that should be.
-Pink lemonade is encrusting pretty rapidly but no upward growth. Colors are fine but more on the green side than the yellow.
-Cali tort is growing slowly but growing. Nice blue/green/purple coloration. Sometimes i see the green polyps but rarely.
-SSC is encrusting, but not growing. And has been an ugly pinkish color since the day i got it from brian (1StopCorals). Not sure if it is lighting or flow or nutrients or what but maybe we will see a change. I havent seen polyps on this since i had the dino outbreak 8 months ago. (6 Months free! *knocks on wood*)
-Rics and Yumas are spittin out babies left and right. No issues here!
-Hammer corals are doing good.
- Anthellia is growing fast. I think im gonna pull the rock and scrub it off with tooth brush or something.
- Havent been able to keep duncans alive since I moved and removed the sand bed ~6 months ago. Tried and lost 3-4 different frags/mini colonies. However i got a whisker coral (isnt that the same thing?) from petco minnetonka about a month ago and it looks amazing. All while a different duncan slowly loses flesh and never has its polyps open.
-Currently i have had issues keeping Monti caps alive. Even the ones i bought at the fragswap turned gray and chalky in days and i dont think they are gonna make it another week. Shame. No idea what the issue is as i have a few acros doing fine.
-My biggest issue: Any time a coral loses tissue or flesh or gets stung or anything, it ALWAYS dies. There is never a recovery. Not sure what my issue is there but it is very frustrating..

I am not expecting any miracles here, but im hoping that by me using a program with a guide (instructions to somewhat follow) that it keeps my attention on the tank and therefore do better maitenence and the like. lol a little better health and growth would be nice as well but we will see!

Sorry for the wall of text.

Reference pictures before starting program:
20161128_180629_zpsfgoukrqh.jpg Sad Starburst cap
20161128_180633_zpszpvzgyu9.jpg Sad (drawing a blank and cant remember the name right now) Cap
20161128_180651_zpsydkxmcpk.jpg Stylo. Small little white spots have no tissue/polyps. I think it is my 6 line wrasse, he seems to pick at that coral from time to time. Not sure if he is eating things or the coral it self.
20161128_180807_zpsfddwkzzx.jpg Right side of the tank. With most of the sps.
20161128_180818_zpszuwzzkpu.jpg Happy cali tort
20161128_180827_zpsow7gtt5d.jpg First time ive seen growth tips other than encrusting on this guy. (Still prior to Aquaforest)
20161119_170319_zpsbpstma2g.jpg FTS prior to Aquaforest. Also just after the monti caps were added. So about a week prior to starting the program. All other pictures are from last night.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be following along.

I also bought the Aquaforest products while on sale.

However I only got the salt, pro bio S, and NP polymer.

I haven't gotten my package yet, but hopefully soon.

I'll be following along.

I also bought the Aquaforest products while on sale.

However I only got the salt, pro bio S, and NP polymer.

I haven't gotten my package yet, but hopefully soon.

I plan on doing a ~10 gallon waterchange here sometime this week with the salt, ill let you know what i think. The pro bio s and np polymer were both out of stock when i ordered :/ but i still have nopox i can use which is essentially the same thing as the np polymer as i understand it

I have no time right now to read all of your post (at work), but wanted to chime in. I have been using AF Reef Salt for about 2 months now on both my tanks. I love it and would never think of changing.

• Closest chemistry to NSW I could find including pH (I try to keep pH as balance as possible).
  • The Alk around 8 dKH is right where I keep my tanks so no Alk swings during water changes = key for me.
  • 15-30 min mixing time (takes just as much time for me to heat the water to 78 degrees). This is crazy. I have always mixed 24 hours prior which in a 1 bedroom apartment can get in the way. The convenience of knowing I can go home from work, mix some salt (pre-made RODI at all times under the sink) and within the hour be doing a water change is game changing.
  • The water mixes perfectly clear leaving zero residue.
  • Each bucket comes with an analysis report for the batch it was produced.
  • Inside the bucket the salt is stored in a bag with a tie which can be re-used. The bucket then closes very securely.
  • Measuring cup in the bucket makes it easy (at least for me using 5 gallon buckets) to mix to 35 ppt.

I have used Tropic Marin Pro Reef, IO Reef Salt, Aquacraft Marine Environment and now the AF Reef Salt.

I have no time right now to read all of your post (at work), but wanted to chime in. I have been using AF Reef Salt for about 2 months now on both my tanks. I love it and would never think of changing.

• Closest chemistry to NSW I could find including pH (I try to keep pH as balance as possible).
  • The Alk around 8 dKH is right where I keep my tanks so no Alk swings during water changes = key for me.
  • 15-30 min mixing time (takes just as much time for me to heat the water to 78 degrees). This is crazy. I have always mixed 24 hours prior which in a 1 bedroom apartment can get in the way. The convenience of knowing I can go home from work, mix some salt (pre-made RODI at all times under the sink) and within the hour be doing a water change is game changing.
  • The water mixes perfectly clear leaving zero residue.
  • Each bucket comes with an analysis report for the batch it was produced.
  • Inside the bucket the salt is stored in a bag with a tie which can be re-used. The bucket then closes very securely.
  • Measuring cup in the bucket makes it easy (at least for me using 5 gallon buckets) to mix to 35 ppt.

I have used Tropic Marin Pro Reef, IO Reef Salt, Aquacraft Marine Environment and now the AF Reef Salt.

The alk thing is one of the biggest reasons i wanted to use the salt to be honest. But i figured i could give the program a shot since it didnt cost nearly as much as zeo and many compare the 2.

I've heard good things about the product but that its not suited for small aquariums(30g under) as it can be very easy to overdose.

It seems some have very good results with it and others disastrous.

I've heard good things about the product but that its not suited for small aquariums(30g under) as it can be very easy to overdose.

It seems some have very good results with it and others disastrous.

That makes sense, it seems impossible to dose less than 1 drop lol

I been using AF Energy and AF Vitality along with Component B and C. So far so good. I was having issues with dull SPS color and I attribute my current growth of SPS to AF. Color is still not insanely great but much better than before. I hope my secret santa gives me more AF stuff. Thats the only thing I asked for. I need to use up about 500 gallons of Reef Crystals and Instant Ocean and then I will switch to their salt too.

I been using AF Energy and AF Vitality along with Component B and C. So far so good. I was having issues with dull SPS color and I attribute my current growth of SPS to AF. Color is still not insanely great but much better than before. I hope my secret santa gives me more AF stuff. Thats the only thing I asked for. I need to use up about 500 gallons of Reef Crystals and Instant Ocean and then I will switch to their salt too.

Thats good to hear that you are liking the product. Between AF, Upgrading to a 6 stage rodi and replacing all the filters and some much needed attention to the tank im hoping that things get better for my system. Never seem to have long term luck with many corals. they all have periods of good and bad and after a bad stint if there is any tissue recession or loss its as good as gone.

Your tank looks great, so if thats what i have to look forward to then im pretty excited to see the change!

I would say if you have issues with corals going through stints of good and bad, its not vitamins and supplements.

I'd say most likely water quality or instability in parameters. Alk swings and low alk are the number 1 culprit.

Im not expecting the stuff in the program to fix the issues, more so to keep my attention on the tank so i have better maitnence habits and what not because i am doing something with the tank daily. This tank has suffered from dinoflagellates and bryopsis at different points in time. It has been dino free for over 6 months and the bryopsis all just dissipeared on its own about 3 or 4 months ago.

myself personally, i do much better when i have a program/routine/set of instructions to follow if you will.

I think getting in front of the tank is key as well, as long as we don't change too much stuff.

The fast mixing is awesome, I didn't believe it until I saw it myself. A 32 gallon Brute crystal clear in an hour.

Switch to Salifert Nitrate test, much more accurate in my opinion. The Matrix took 6 months to work for me but now I have trouble keeping elevated Nitrates. I put Matrix in the larger TLF reactor which works for 150 gallons.

I only use MicroE and the Reef Salt. Recently I bought Kalum? which is their potassium supplement. I love droppers, simple to do daily.

You might want to carefully consider using PhosphateRx for PO4 control but you'll want to get an accurate PO4 test kit, like the Hanna ULR meter. Again, drops.

Good luck with your experiment!

I think getting in front of the tank is key as well, as long as we don't change too much stuff.

The fast mixing is awesome, I didn't believe it until I saw it myself. A 32 gallon Brute crystal clear in an hour.

Switch to Salifert Nitrate test, much more accurate in my opinion. The Matrix took 6 months to work for me but now I have trouble keeping elevated Nitrates. I put Matrix in the larger TLF reactor which works for 150 gallons.

I only use MicroE and the Reef Salt. Recently I bought Kalum? which is their potassium supplement. I love droppers, simple to do daily.

You might want to carefully consider using PhosphateRx for PO4 control but you'll want to get an accurate PO4 test kit, like the Hanna ULR meter. Again, drops.

Good to know about the matrix! I only have it running passively however. I do have a BRS mini reactor i could toss it in i guess but my sump doesnt have much space so i dont use it anymore (drawback of the reefer series.)

I havent had a chance to double check the results yet but i will soon. If they are way off ill switch to salifert or something for trates.

I have the Hanna checker for phosphates. Just hate how often i have to buy the refill for it. plus i dont find them terribly accurate, i have the cal and alk one and alk is the only one of the 3 that give a consistent reading over multiple tests.

Right now most of the stuff in the tank is either surviving or declining very slowly (with the exception of a few coral that are growing and reproducing) so at worst, some waterchagnes, attention to the tank and additives will be used, at best the tank will turn around lol Most of the pictures make it hard to tell that anything is wrong with some of the stuff but i guess we will see.

Just keep KH low and steady and keep PO4 stable and all will recover IMO. This was the difference for me between two failed attempts and the latest run. I ditched any replaceable media (except for carbon) due to the fact I would swing params when replacing it. In my case a KH swing did some damage followed by a rapid PO4 drop which did massive damage. Since I switched to Matrix and PhosphateRx none of my old explainable SPS issues have returned.

I think flow may be an issue as well for me but idk.

As for replaceable media i dont use any and havent in a long time. Actually ive just been running waterchanges, 2 part and my skimmer. Sometimes use filtersocks, sometimes i dont and sometimes they get neglected. I really have a hard time believing that my nitrates are that high as well i dont think my phosphates are 0 but i have no algae growth and scrape the glass every 4 days at most.

I agree about the drops. That's why I love Aquaforest. With other supplements, I hate the big bottles and opening the cap. Why did you choose MicroE vs the other stuff AF carries??

I have found that less is more.

I have my routine written down on my calender. Every time i clean, dose, change media etc. It makes it easier to follow.

I switched to a better salt because io and reef crystals were constantly inconsistent causing fluctuations after water changes as well as difficulty with dosing. My alk and mag were the issues.

Those 2 issues had my corals being effected, not hugely but i noticed a change once i got my alk stable at 9. When it was in the 7 area things weren't happy.

I have found carbon, floss, weekly waterchanges, stable numbers, and feeding corals has been exactly what was needed.

I do notice that when using things to reduce phos, things aren't the happiest. Too low of nutrients can be just as bad as too high.

I have found that less is more.

I tried this for quite some time, and with my life, schedule and general personality when less became more, it ended up staying less.

i.e. I ended up neglecting it. Lost a fish and a few coral because i was lazy and distracted. Dont want to do it again, so i try to do something with the tank every night. I keep my hands out of the display as much as i can but i like needing to look at it or check the skimmer or clean the glass or dose something by hand type of thing i guess. To each his own!

I tried this for quite some time, and with my life, schedule and general personality when less became more, it ended up staying less.

i.e. I ended up neglecting it. Lost a fish and a few coral because i was lazy and distracted. Dont want to do it again, so i try to do something with the tank every night. I keep my hands out of the display as much as i can but i like needing to look at it or check the skimmer or clean the glass or dose something by hand type of thing i guess. To each his own!

This. This is exactly why I have gotten into the Aquaforest program as well.

I have a very simple tank, to a fault. I had let it go longer than I'd like with out attention.

But with the AF program, my hope is that it will force me to keep up with weekly testing, dosing, and waterchanges. All to hopefully benefit my coral and livestock.

Did my first waterchange using Aquaforest salt last night. Reef salt not probiotic. I can say that im fairly impressed. Mixed right away, and was clear within minutes. My bucket had a scoop in it that has Litre measurements on the side for how much salt to put in based on how many litres of ro water you have made up. Handy but essentially useless to me as i dont know the number of litres i have made up. (could convert from gallons but i dont even know the exact gallon i mix up, usually just set my rodi unit on for about 3 hours which should be roughly 9 gallons of water give or take.)

It has been nearly a week since i started using the program and so far nothing has really changed lol but thats to be expected. If anything i think my use of NoPox is having more of an effect on the tank and corals than this stuff is.

I still havent had a chance to pick up a different nitrate test kit or go to a LFS to confirm mine, however i tested against an older API nitrate kit which read 0. Which kind of makes it interesting in my eyes. on one hand, i dont see any reason my tank would have such high nitrates (60+ on red sea kit) as i change about 9 gallons a week in a 65 gallon system, have an oversized skimmer and only feed 1 shrimp cube a day. No algea growth and slow growth of anything on the glass. On the other hand i dont really trust the api one that much. But polar oppisites make it hard to tell.

Not sure what exactly it is from but i do have increased polyp extension in a few of my sticks, will continue to monitor.

Montipora continue to go down hill and lose color. I dipped the starburst monti in iodine last night to maybe see if it is bacterial but i doubt it. It may be too far gone. The green one pictured above is almost gray. I think it still has flesh but cant tell.

I have had 0 luck keeping montipora or milliepora alive in this system. Not sure if it is flow or lighting or what. Hoping things turn around with the different additives, maybe my tank is deficient something.

Alk measured at 7.6dkh last night before waterchange. I have extremely little consumption right now and have my apex dos turned off. It maybe falls .1dkh a day at most. This concerns me as i have that large clam in there from Brian that i picked up at the swap. It looks healthy but i have never had a clam before and on top of that i thought they consumed a ton of cal and alk.. Thoughts?

Pictures for reference.

20161204_185039_zpsihloy4in.jpg20161204_185047_zpse2gum6l2.jpg20161204_185106_zpsrdzss8cj.jpg20161204_185115_zps60g0en66.jpg20161204_185120_zpsnis7oxcf.jpg

Sorry for the bad top downs, still dont know how to do this correctly.

20161204_185140_zps9bqz7fz5.jpg20161204_185150_zps8twadn7x.jpg20161204_185206_zpsmjhbdxnu.jpg20161204_185215_zpsfmvn034l.jpg20161204_185228_zpsrgphwxel.jpg20161204_185246_zpsgp3hgqzu.jpg20161204_185255_zpsgbdwsbos.jpg20161204_185333_zps0uveplaz.jpg

Your corals look good.

I have found in my experience api relatively the same as other nitrate kits.

A drop that quickly say 60ppm to 0 could effect the corals. 0 nitrate is too clean, having them 2-5ppm is optimal.

Your corals look good.

I have found in my experience api relatively the same as other nitrate kits.

A drop that quickly say 60ppm to 0 could effect the corals. 0 nitrate is too clean, having them 2-5ppm is optimal.

Red sea still shows 60+ ppm, that is what im saying, one says super high, the other says super low. I personally think the nitrates are low and not high but i still plan on having it double checked

Wow. Thats odd!

Any chance the red sea is expired?

Good idea to get a third check.

You would see some significant issues at 60ppm, not only corals being unhappy but some algae.

Archived