Top Shelf Aquatics

Pedersons Anemone Cleaner Shrimp...Needs a Cleaning!

Nano sapiens

I had read that Cleaner Shrimp are not immune to parasites and today I got a first hand look when a Pederson Shrimp came in looking a bit pale and lethargic:

Pederson%20Shrimp%20Parasites%20_112916_

Close up...of the close up:

Pederson%20Shrimp%20Parasites%20Closeup_

Certainly Interesting, but definitely not pleasant for the poor shrimp. The concern I have is whether these can reproduce and infect other healthy shrimp in the tank, but my hope is that they can't complete their lifecycle in aquaria. I had considered an intervention to try and remove them, but I don't have any tool precise enough to even grasp one (not to mention the risk of injury to the shrimp). At this point I'll just be making sure the shrimp gets frequent quality nutrition to stay strong and monitor the condition.

That is interesting! Here's hoping the little guy pulls through. I once removed a large isopod from the back of a peppermint shrimp. It was large and nasty but came off cleanly and the shrimp pulled through.

Knowing your tank, that shrimp will be in the best of conditions. Here's hoping it pulls through!

I see you're in NorCal too. Just curious where you got the shrimp from?

That is interesting! Here's hoping the little guy pulls through. I once removed a large isopod from the back of a peppermint shrimp. It was large and nasty but came off cleanly and the shrimp pulled through.

Knowing your tank, that shrimp will be in the best of conditions. Here's hoping it pulls through!

I see you're in NorCal too. Just curious where you got the shrimp from?

Thanks for that :)

Ordered from Liveaquaria. Finding these types of critters locally is really tough, so ordering online is the way to go.

Posing second healthy shrimp:

Pederson%20Shrimp%20Portrait_112916_zpso

Never seen parasites on a shrimp nor that particular shrimp. Very cool.

Love the pics. What are you using for camera?

Shot was taken with an old Olympus C-3040 'Point-and-Shoot' (circa 2001) through a 10x 'eye loop' magnifier. Low tech, but it works :)

Pederson shrimp have a body length of just 1" and are mostly transparent, so it's a bit of a challenge.

Archived