ReefCleaners.org

Do not smoke the reefer - IM Nuvo 20

do not smoke the reef(er)

FTS 3/23Snapseed.thumb.jpg.5746f45a001c24e0f23f8925b2a389c4.jpgzoa.thumb.jpg.4b7b40f8daa5e3cdedc19c6eab2419b7.jpg

Hey everyone,

New to nano-reef. Getting back into the hobby after quite a break. Thought this Setting up this 20 gallon fusion.

Equipment

Heater: Aqueon ProHeater 100w & Eheim Jager 75W TruTemp

Circulation Eheim Compact 1000 (Return Pump) & EcoTech VorTech MP10wQD
Hydor Koralia Nano 425

Lighting: AquaIllumination AI Prime HD, with 12" Flex Arm AquaticLife Edge LED 24in

ATO: AutoAqua Smart ATO Micro, Eshopps ATO Reservoir 2.5g 

Skimmer: None (Adding Tunzee 9001)

Filtration: Custom Caddy Media Baskets, running filter floss & ChemiPure Blue Wrapped in 200 Micron Sock, IM
200 Micron Desktop Filter Socks

Bio: 10lb of Live Rock from LFS, 11lb of Walt Smith ReefRock 2.1 & 20lb of CaribSea Sand Fiji Pink

Livestock

Blacker Ice Clownfish Pari

Orchid Dotty Back

Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp

Banded Trochus Snails

Euphyillia Garden (Frogspawns, hammers, octospawns, torch)

Rasta Zoanthids

Goblin's Fire Zoanthids

Scrambled Eggs Zoanthids x2

Blue Hornets 

Fire and Ice 

Seasons Greeting montipora

Superman Montipora

Bubblegum digitata

etc (will update and clean this up soon)

COMING SOON ASD Leprechauns and ASD Vivid Rainbows,  gold torch

Had this tank up and running for about a week and a half so far. 40% water change at 1 week. Ammonia and Nitrite at 0. Nitrates at 5ppm-10ppm

11/19

post-92637-0-71513200-1480406999_thumb.jpg
Went with a pretty minimalist aquascape. Still thinking about making some changes.

Added a clown shortly.

11/29

post-92637-0-86633000-1480532662_thumb.jpg

Stay tuned and please feel free to leave feedback!

Chiefing while reefing

Aquascape 11-19.jpg

IMG_6567 (1).JPG

Nice. Like the scape. What type of tank are you planning?

Thank you! Wanting to turn this into a reef, really thinking about putting a bunch of zoas towards the front of the scape and having them creep up the LR. Just got some livestock as well. Blacker Ice Clown :D pics coming

Love the scape :)

Thank you!

post-92637-0-64030100-1480532564_thumb.jpg

Update! Livestock in the tank! Going to through in some CUC shortly. Thinking about a blue hermit and maybe a few snails, not sure on the type. Any recomendations?

Banded trochus snails are where it's at. But I also picked up a CUC from john over at Reefcleaners, all snails.

I'm not a huge fan of hermit crabs, but I'll admit that they can tear out strands of algae when they're so inclined - I have one blue-legged hermit in my tank that murdered his way through a few ceriths before settling in a stocky one's shell. :P

Banded trochus snails are where it's at. But I also picked up a CUC from john over at Reefcleaners, all snails.

I'm not a huge fan of hermit crabs, but I'll admit that they can tear out strands of algae when they're so inclined - I have one blue-legged hermit in my tank that murdered his way through a few ceriths before settling in a stocky one's shell. :P

Thank you! I am going to the LFS later today, going to ask about those banded trochus snails. Yeah i have heard some good and bad things about the hermits. I might just grab some extra shells i have and toss them in there for him. Love the blue legs though haha.

I added three banded trochus recently and they stay busy keeping things cleaned up. Also added a Halloween hermit crab, which I like a lot more than the blue leg that I already had in the tank.

I added three banded trochus recently and they stay busy keeping things cleaned up. Also added a Halloween hermit crab, which I like a lot more than the blue leg that I already had in the tank.

TOO funny you say that haha. Must have been fate but they didn't have any blues and I got a Halloween hermit and 2 banded trochus today.

post-92637-0-60650400-1480555274_thumb.jpg

Added a softie! Not 100% sure but it looks like some sort of frogspawn.

Got a few zoa frags today as well. Going to wait for the lighting to come on and have them open up.

Also got some bad advice at one LFS today. I added another clown to pair with this one. Unfortunately i was told to get a bigger clown than the one already present in the tank. Now after doing some research I see this is not good. I went against my better judgement doing so but I hope everything works out between the two fish. The clown added is slightly larger than the clown that has been in the tank for a couple weeks.

Changed around the rock work and what not to help ease the transition.

Halloween hermit is all over zoas and trying to get to my snails. Guessing there is not enough food for him to eat and he is trying to get what he can. Any insight ?

post-92637-0-16383500-1481010254_thumb.jpg

Also have an eheim jaeger 75W heater on the way to replace the aqueon. CustomCaddy media baskets ontw as well. Going to start running filter floss on the top and bottom level of the caddy with chemi pure blue in the middle.

Updates

Added some Coral!

Rasta Zoas and a few other i need help ID'ing

Any good filters to put on my iphone to get better pictures under the blue lighting? Heard orange filters?

Here are some of the zoa frags I got. One of them was too difficult to get in the moonlight setting.

Love these bright red ones with the green center! Didn't get the name.

post-92637-0-37615100-1481614423_thumb.jpg

Them Rastas tho B)

post-92637-0-13688200-1481614430_thumb.jpg

I will get a better pic of these soon. They have been in the tank for about a week and I am already seeing growth on all of them. The frogspawn/hammer is also opening up nicely. :D

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

Hardware

Added an AutoAqua Smart Ato Micro a couple weeks ago. Also have an AI Prime HD with 12" flex arm on the way. Can't wait to have some controllable lighting.

post-92637-0-20835800-1482883983_thumb.jpg

Got myself a pretty festive ATO resevoir to go with it as well. HAHA

post-92637-0-75696200-1482884042_thumb.jpg

Finally got that MP10wQD! Love the minimal footprint in the tank and versatility. Installed and currently experimenting. Have been doing lagoon mode and short pulse mode.

Livestock

Purchased a new green hammer coral in addition to a YWG and Candy Cane Pistol shrimp pair. Immediately as I added the shrimp, my male clown "Maximus" he reminds me of a gladiator B), started to go after the shrimp! He quickly hid into my rock work and started to make him self quite the burrow.

YWG was added right after. YWG chilled around the bottom for a while but could not seem to find anywhere he liked beside between the glass and cord on my old Hydor Korilla Pump. Went back to go check on the tank about an hour later and he was swimming around trying to get comfortable. Then poof he was gone. For some reason I just knew he had not found a place to call home yet. So i turned off my return pump and removed my media baskets to see if some how he got in there. No luck....

Where the F*&K could this little guy have gone. Busted out the flashlights and really looked into the bottom corners of the overflow and saw a small yellow shimmer next to one of my thermometers. He must have jumped through the small gap in between my mesh screen and back wall. I really did not want to scare him into the center chamber as that area has two areas that are unreachable by hand. Shaped like an upside down T. Put my hand to block him from going into the next chamber and could barely fit the net into the back. He some how squirmed past my hand into the center chamber omgomgomg

He took home to the most inaccessible spot in the chamber. Unfortunately had to get the turkey baster and blast him a little. With about 3 or 4 failed attempts to catch him I was starting to run out of ideas FINALLY! Got him back into the 2nd chamber somehow. Quickly turned on the return pump to drain the water in the back so he had less accessibility to he center chamber. instead of my hand, this time we used a paper brochure that worked perfectly. I scooped him up and tossed him back into the DT. :naughtydance:

He then settled back into his spot by the pump and I proceeded to bed. Wake up the next morning and no sign of Houdini. Brother named him. I wanted to name him AS*H$%E.

Didn't worry as I know these guys love to hide.

Day 2

No sign of him still. Did some feeding to my corals and spotted the candy cane come out real quick! He has made himself quite the little tunnel. Hope this isn't a problem as i do not have egg crates at the bottom of my tank. Any input?

Gonna go home and place some food around the shrimps burrow and see if the YWG wants to peek out or he may be a goner! :ninja: Something tells me he jumped again somehow.

Now i keep the mesh screen all the way pushed up against the back wall. Now if he wants to jump he will go on the carpet not into my return pump. Lets see if he decides to poke his head out the hole fingerscrossed

• 1 month later...

Got the dosing unit set up!  Also installed a motion sensor LED inside of the cabinet. Next time im going to get a stand with more cabinet space!

IMG_7109.JPG.4466c266710960e2cf8160d6d2e5ea73.JPG

Made some DIY containers out of bulkheads and OXO glass flip lock containers. Still going to do some more testing on my tank this week before i start dosing.

Also added a ton of new corals. Going to get a better FTS later tonight with out the frag racks in the way. Changed the scape up for flow reasons but think I will go back to the original scape. What do you guys think?

IMG_7107.JPG.f1bd4e5e243bea4b90a179d97e7ca10d.JPG

1 hour ago, uwdanno said:

@do not smoke the reef(er) nice doser! That'll work great. What additives are you going to use?

Scape looks good to me. Is there a certain type of reef or look you are going for?

I was actually inspired by your SPS forest/island. lol When i originally started this tank I did not plan on adding many hard stony corals, but then my tastes changed!   I wanted to make the upper portion of the left side of the aquarium SPS  dedicated as it is one of the best spots for flow. 

With the newer scape it seems like the furthest left rock does not get enough flow. This might be due to the center rock redirecting/blocking it.  

The older scape is in the picture below. Have not used this scape since i have purchased the MP10

Any thoughts or input would be helpful! I am going to take a better FTS later tonight with the current scape.

Right now using my MP10 at about 45% on reefcrest majority of the day. 

Currently using BRS 2 part for alk ca and mag ready to program it once i finish up with some more testing this week.

IMG_7116.JPG.476b45483d6ce2b622ab0f41599dbb00.JPG

Archived