SaltCritters.com

Upgrading tank and Nitrogen cycle

AMEE

Yes I know this has been covered many times. This is a subject with a lot of opinions. I wanted to get some opinions On my specific case.

I have a 10 gallon that has been running for a year and 1 month. I have a ac70 with some rubble rock. I will be upgrading to a Reefer 170 and will have new live sand and reefcleaners rock. What would be the best way for me to start this tank.

1. I was thinking of doing the Red Sea reef mature kit.

2. Transferring live rock over and fish 2 small clowns

3. Cycle with shrimp method and move things over when cycle is done

Everyone has specific cases so asking questions is good. Not everyones current and future plans are equal so execution won't be either.

If I was upgrading I would cycle the tank and then switch over the livestock if its possible. There is the option of curing the rock in a bucket then setting it up and then transfer.

I wouldn't do the shrimp. It will cause nutrient issues in the tank which you don't want.

You could do dry rock with ammonia and bacteria dosing for cycling.

You could do dry and liverock mix

There is caribsea life rock as well.

You can use existing rock from 10g with life rock. Life rock has bacteria injected into it so it can be used immediately and your existing rock will seed it further.

You could use a portion of life rock with existing rock and cure dry rock in a bucket then add that as well.

I just got some of the liferock myself and i really like it. It breaks easily, it looks purply so doesn't stand out like white rock and the bonus was having bacteria on it.

Its caribsea aragonite dry rock epoxied to look like coralline is on it.

Theres alot of ppl using it now with no issues.

I don't know anything about the red sea kit. Hopefully more will chime in.

Most of my rock have coral on it. Maybe a couple of small pieces and one that has a few baby shrooms. Has anybody tried bio-spira or my lfs is recommending special blend.

If there is no added bioload I want to know if just swapping everything over with the extra dry rock and live sand will put my two clowns and coral in danger. I would use bio spira to help with the adjustment. If not I can just wait until the tank cycle but I would have to move my current tank because it's where I will be putting the new tank.

Your existing rock will seed the new base rock but that will take time.

In most cases ppl switch safely but most will keep a bottle of prime on hand in the event ammonia becomes present.

Some may add bacteria dosing but I have never done it myself.

blizzardscout2

I'm doing the same exact upgrade. I will be using seed rock in display once my reef cleaners rock is aquascaped. I may supplement bacteria to speed up the process. I'm going to talk to my LFS on Friday when I pick up the 170. I will let you know what they say about that.

I'm doing the same exact upgrade. I will be using seed rock in display once my reef cleaners rock is aquascaped. I may supplement bacteria to speed up the process. I'm going to talk to my LFS on Friday when I pick up the 170. I will let you know what they say about that.

Ok thanks. My tank will be in thrus. So depending how much I get done this. Weekend it might get wet. I can't make up my mind right now. I guess I will probably go with special bled since I will be able to pick it up locally.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived