Cultivated Reef

Is my Acan coral dying (pics included)?

dlaunde

Hey all,

Below is a picture of an Acan coral frag I bought from my LFS about 3 weeks ago and a picture of it today. As you can see, in the bottom right of the Acan, the two smaller heads that were present when I brought it home from the LFS have died off. But the remaining heads have gotten bigger/puffier and take food readily when I spot feed.

The Acan is halfway up on my LR. I am using a Current USA Orbit IC (100% Blue, 20% White) that runs 8 hours full light plus one hour before and after at half setting (dusk/dawn). The orange on the remaining heads glow very bright so it hasn't lost any of the pigmentation.

Just curious if it is slowly dying for some reason or if the bigger heads are just taking up all the nutrients/space?

Thanks!

post-92303-0-88066000-1480269197_thumb.jpg

post-92303-0-93345500-1480269206_thumb.jpg

Its lost some heads, something isn't right.

There may be too much direct light. I have mine under the aquamaxx nemolight with 80% blue 20% white and they are on the bottom.

Too much flow may be another issue.

• 2 weeks later...

It's also possible something is nibbling on them. What kind of inverts/CUC do you have? I had a red mithrax crab that ate almost an entire head over the course of 3 nights (finally caught it in the act on the start of the third night). Only a tiny patch of flesh was left on it but I left it alone and it's now almost fully regrown (~7 months). Also had a keyhole limpet devour half a head on another one. Also left it alone and it fully recovered... only to have half of two of it's three current heads eaten by something else just a few days ago (I suspect a rogue gorilla crab).

Clearly looks like something is eating it to me but the polyp retraction would also suggest it's stressed, which also could be because something is eating it.

What crabs, shrimp, and snails do you have in there? Any dwarf angels?

Archived