ReefCleaners.org

Fungia Plate coral Care and Concerns. Need Some Help

alexm2251

well i have this plate in my tank. the rist time i have ever tried keeping a plate and idk much about caring for it other than feeding once in a while and good water parameters. is there any tips that anyone have for keeping these coral happy and thriving. the one in the picture tbh i dont know if its happy or not can someone tell me i cant really fin much info about these coral online.post-90483-0-13613300-1479934200_thumb.jpg

I think the main things are:

-moderate non-linear flow (you don't want it blasted, because the flesh can tear on the skeleton, and having the water move in one direction all the time also presses flesh against the skeleton - mine are in the center, where there's almost a gentle whirlpool thing going on)

-chemical filtration (it can't calcify and grow if phosphate is inhibiting calcification, and mine seem sensitive to coral warfare whether it's nearby corals or just angry corals 'yelling' into the water column)

-Food! Don't feed too much, even if it's overzealous, because food can take a while to digest and begin rotting inside the mouth. Bad stuff. But they do respond well to feeding.

-Moderate lighting. It might need to be strong lighting up high in order to still be 'moderate' at the bottom, but just be careful not to bleach it or anything.

even minor changes in the tank can have lps change polyp shape/extension but what can be told from the pic is the history. no tissue recession on the edges, uniform polyp and no bleaching areas its good to go/ grind up the frozen feed vs big chunks.

best feeding trick is use a plastic cup weighted creatively and place it over the coral occasionally in the early morning and inject the whole day's reef feed into the cup directly on it. leave for 20 mins then remove cup, same feeding you were going to do only its roids for the coral. the cup made the feed not spread around your whole tank and the coral at to its fullest.

Ok np yes I have seen people do this method with non-photosynthetic coral. Im about to order reef roids by polyp labs. I have a frogspawn with 3 heads and he is showing full polyp extension he is doing very very well. The plate just doesn't look like all the other ones I see on forums and pictures.

Plates like lower flow, too high a flow will cause it to close up and or tear.

If its in direct lighting it will start to bleach, they prefer moderate light.

I find lps does best not in direct light.

Reef roids are great so are oyster feast. I feed both and my corals seem to really enjoy it.

Archived