Top Shelf Aquatics

Hanna Checkers

Groot

25% off that's a pretty good deal at Bulkreefsupply.com. If you don't have one already you should pick one up. Making measuring KH and Phosphate alot easier.

how accurate is this compare to Exact Idip?

My Idip gives very low result on KH. I am using Fauna Marin salt. When I contacted Claude from Fauna Marin in Germany, he said that photometer does not work well to measure fresh saltwater. He suggested the traditional ones such as Red Sea or Salifert.

Have you ever compared Hanna's Alk, Mag, and Cal results to Red sea or Salifert's results?

We use the dKh checker daily on the BRS160. We absolutely love it since it only takes a minute to perform. :)

Ok. But have you compared the results with Red Sea or Salifert?

Also since you sell fauna Marin product, what do you think of using photometer such as Hanna on Fauna Marin saltwater?

When I contacted Claude from Fauna Marin in Germany, he said that photometer does not work to measure fresh saltwater. He suggested the traditional ones such as Red Sea or Salifert.

This is what Claude from Fauna Marin Germany said to me

Date: 2016-11-22 3:34 AM (GMT-05:00)

Hi

Maybe there was some lost in translation, The point is that you cannot detect fresh saltwater with this kind of measurements technics We also cannot do that with our high end Laboratory Photometer for 20 k

rgds claude

Ok. But have you compared the results with Red Sea or Salifert?

Also since you sell fauna Marin product, what do you think of using photometer such as Hanna on Fauna Marin saltwater?

When I contacted Claude from Fauna Marin in Germany, he said that photometer does not work to measure fresh saltwater. He suggested the traditional ones such as Red Sea or Salifert.

This is what Claude from Fauna Marin Germany said to me

Date: 2016-11-22 3:34 AM (GMT-05:00)

Hi

Maybe there was some lost in translation, The point is that you cannot detect fresh saltwater with this kind of measurements technics We also cannot do that with our high end Laboratory Photometer for 20 k

rgds claude

Toe to toe I haven't had a chance to yet, but that is something I'd love to try! I think I'll check them against each other the next test :)

Toe to toe I haven't had a chance to yet, but that is something I'd love to try! I think I'll check them against each other the next test :)

I use a refractometer, api's master saltwater kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, KH and calcium, salifert for magnesium and a hanna checker for phosphate. Anything more seems like overkill. This seems like the cheapest and best way but people do like toys. :)

Marc.The.Shark

should I get the dkh or splurge on the ppm?

They're basically the same, the dKH just does the conversion from PPM for you

I notice the phosphate checker only has reagent for six test. How often do most folks test phosphate?

I order the extra pack of 25 tests for an extra $7 i think it was

We use the Hanna dKH (two of them actually) and the Phosphosurs ULR here @ HoS. The Alk one is fantastic, except for a shift between different reagent bottles and a tendency for the readings to slowly decline as the bottle is being used up - just keep it in mind. They are much faster then titration tests once you get the hang of them and usually more precise (some titration kits only measure in whole number increments for dkh).

I have tested the phosphorus one against Triton's results many times. When the Hanna reads 0 Phosphorus it typically means 0.02 to 0.04 Phosphate. When it reads any number above that, it means 0.04 or higher Phosphate. Works pretty well on an SPS tank (zero reading = GFO is good, non-zero reading = change GFO). Again just keep these limitations in mind, all hobby tests kits are accurate to a certain point.

With that said, their results are usually very repeatable once you become very consistent in the process/steps (testing the same water 3 times usually gives us the same reading).

I have heard the Calcium tester is not very good but have not used it myself.

With all that said, I wouldn't use any other test kit for Phosphate or Alkalinity (and I have used many).

Once the salt is fully dissolved, I don't see it being an issue. :)

I use a refractometer, api's master saltwater kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, KH and calcium, salifert for magnesium and a hanna checker for phosphate. Anything more seems like overkill. This seems like the cheapest and best way but people do like toys. :)

Cool! Sounds like you've got it down.

How come the hanna phosphate Ulr is not on sale?

The two Checker's we have on sale are Doorbusters for our Black Friday sale - we have special clearance to sell them at that price, however the rest of the products aren't able to be discounted. :)

I notice the phosphate checker only has reagent for six test. How often do most folks test phosphate?

It depends on the tank, I test mine once ever 3 - 4 weeks to ensure my GFO is still working ok.

We use the Hanna dKH (two of them actually) and the Phosphosurs ULR here @ HoS. The Alk one is fantastic, except for a shift between different reagent bottles and a tendency for the readings to slowly decline as the bottle is being used up - just keep it in mind. They are much faster then titration tests once you get the hang of them and usually more precise (some titration kits only measure in whole number increments for dkh).

I have tested the phosphorus one against Triton's results many times. When the Hanna reads 0 Phosphorus it typically means 0.02 to 0.04 Phosphate. When it reads any number above that, it means 0.04 or higher Phosphate. Works pretty well on an SPS tank (zero reading = GFO is good, non-zero reading = change GFO). Again just keep these limitations in mind, all hobby tests kits are accurate to a certain point.

With that said, their results are usually very repeatable once you become very consistent in the process/steps (testing the same water 3 times usually gives us the same reading).

I have heard the Calcium tester is not very good but have not used it myself.

With all that said, I wouldn't use any other test kit for Phosphate or Alkalinity (and I have used many).

The speed you can perform the tests at is one of my favorite features for sure! Thanks for sharing :)

Archived