inTank Media Baskets

Outlaw Cubey 3 gal Deluxe

chaostactics

Starting a build thread.

The goal is to build/run this tank with bare minimal mods/add-ons to keep the price low, keep the warranty, and allow for easy duplication of build by others who might want to. I'll save the DIY for my bigger tank.

The tank sits tucked away in a bookshelf next to desk at work be cause I may or may not have been told they'repermissible at work...

19233870.jpg

Equipment: (price breakdown)

JBJ Cubey Deluxe (90$ on Black Friday)

Submersible Fuge light (11$)

Dogfish Head 120 min IPA (?$)

Cobalt mini-therm 10 watt (14$)

Generic digital thermometer (3$)

Two Little Fishes NanoMag (9$)

Purigen 100 mL bag (8$)

30 x 36 micron filter pad (7$) Which will probably last 3 years haha

I'm not going to include livestock prices.

Stock List:

3 x blue leg hermits

3 x Nassarius snails (non-burrowing?)

Stock Plan:

Maxi-minis anems

Rock Flower anems

Misc CUC

Porcelain Crab

Sexy shrimp

Pistol Shrimp maybe

Maintenance plan:

Liter water-change weekly

Manual top-off

PICS

20161104_164256.jpg

For scale

20161104_164605.jpg

White light/Blue light

20161121_075014.jpg

20161121_075022.jpg

Hidey Hole

20161121_075046.jpg

• Like 4

Ah no unfortunately no beer work, I'm an infection preventionist in a very large hospital. The beer was for scale while unboxing at home.

That sucks I'll keep my own job then,

The tank looks good though.

Getting off to a slow start. Sand and heater is on order. Leak testing started. Looks like I'm gonna have a low evap rate. Which is great because I have no idea how I'd set up an auto for this.

IMG_20161130_084704730.jpg

IMG_20161130_085823770.jpg

(Yes I'll ditch the tap water before setting up the tank for livestock)

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up some sand, cobalt mini-therm, Purigen "The Bag", and a generic thermometer. Will hopefully start cycling this week.now that I've got a timer set up, five light, and heater I'll try and start tracking the evap rate. I'd like to just be able to add a consistent amount of water a couple of times a week.

Even with the volume to evap rate I don't think I'm overly worried about salinity swings. I am worried about vacation time though... (7 days or over)

Running total $143

• Like 1

Nice little tank! I'm actually in the process of doing almost the same thing. I picked up a Fluval Spec III a few weeks ago and I'm planning on setting it up at work. There's no guidance as to whether they're allowed or not so I figure I'll just go for it and hope they don't make me take it down. Similar to you I'll be putting it in a spot where it's not going to be particularly obvious and I may even make a canopy of sorts to prevent light spill onto the ceiling.

My initial plan was to make a reef jar - but the Spec III was on sale and I liked the rear chambers. I used some rock from my DT so it's already running with a pom pom crab, 2 sexy shrimp, a hermit, and a stomatella snail. The snail died - I'm suspecting the hermit. I also have a few various zoa frags and some rics.

Since your tank will be at work it will be important to keep the equipment you'll need to a minimum. I got a cheap dish tub from the $1 store and I've made a "maintenance kit" with the following:

- Some sham-wow absorbent towels of various sizes

- A pair of 15" stainless steel tweezers ($7 at Amazon Lily's Pets) so I don't have to stick my hand in the tank

- A 2 cup measuring pitcher

- Spare filter pads

- 2x cool whip/butter containers for transporting wet/dirty items from my desk to a sink

- Some extra tubing

- A small net

- A bottle of Seachem Prime

- An extra thermometer

- A 25ml syringe

- A turkey baster

- Some vinegar/water cleaner in a small spray bottle

- A toothbrush and a pipe cleaner

- A few fish bags

- 2x 1 gallon jugs, one with saltwater and one with fresh for top off

Anything I forgot that you keep with you?

Finally - you should take a look at this little pico tank cleaner I made, and then make one yourself. It's awesome because you can clean your tank very quickly and with minimal equipment/mess.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/378561-picosmall-aquarium-spot-cleaning-device-thats-cheap-and-easy/

• Like 2

That's pretty cool. My "kit" is smaller than yours. I pretty much just have curved hemostats, extra filter pad, and some carbon. I'm trying to figure out how to be nonchalant about having two gallon bottles one with RoDi and one with SW.

chaostactics

Had to replace the Colbalt Aquatics 10 watt heater with a 5 watt one. The tank was getting to 82 pretty often.

All 3 Nassarius snails died? The hermits are fine though.

Added some pods last time too, no sign of those. Though to be fair I'm never here when the lights are off. It's also darn near impossible to see into the rear chambers.

chaostactics

Hard to tell when a tank this small has cycled. I'm thinking about kidnapping one of my super aggressive peppermint shrimp from home next Monday and bringing it in for the Pico.aybe a couple more hermits as well.

Also update, one of the three Nassarius snails is still kicking.

Anyone have suggestions for sand sifters in a Pico?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...