Innovative Marine Aquariums

Are these small star fish reef friendly?

DJ WYLD

I have a few of these small star fish that I have noticed over the last few months. Are they reef friendly? Do they eat algea? I have no idea. If they do eat algea and detritus then I'll keep them as my crab leave these alone but has a tendency to eat snails. :(.

If they are bad then I'll remove them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The reason I'm. Asking is that when I Google it I get very very mixed results. Id like to hear from people that actually have these in there tank. Cheers. :)

DSC_1068_zps4uyzesam.jpg

That was a pic I tool from Google as I'm currently at work. But they are the same as that. I have read that some are OK and a few eat corals. I've not seen any on my corals just rocks and glass. But I've also read they will eat coraline algea. If this is correct then I'll be removing them.

They spread pretty quick and can annoy some corals. I usually vacuum a bunch out each time I do a water change. Only time I've seen them eat coral was when it was already dieing/dead.

I would do your research before buying a Harlequin shrimp. One of the coolest creatures for tanks but they only eat starfish. Feeding them becomes expensive after they take out your tanks stars

AlejandroDelRey

They spread pretty quick and can annoy some corals. I usually vacuum a bunch out each time I do a water change.

I had a couple in my tank and while they wouldn't feed on my zoas, they definitely liked crawling on top of them and making them close up.

Asterina star.

Most in our tanks are harmless but they do populate quickly.

I use long tweezers and remove them from time to time just to lower the numbers i have.

As for the harlequin shrimp- they eat starfish and that gets really expensive.

Cheers. I'll leave them and see what happens. I won't be getting a harlequin shrimp. :)

they eat coraline algae pretty well. ive had some in mine for 2+ years and all is fine.

• 1 month later...
Partially Submerged

I have them, and their population seems to be self-regulating. Never had a problem with them, and they are cool little creatures.

Archived