Pod Your Reef

Brad's ADA 60f Mangrove Tunnel

brad908

I think for my next tank I'm going to try and paint the wet side white and plasti dip the dry side, maybe krylon fusion for the wet side? Can't wait to see this setup grow out!

I've read multiple times krylon fusion is reef safe, so you should be good. I am just not sure how well the plasti dip will hold up on the dry side. I know every time a little chip happens it will annoy me so much and force me to repaint it haha.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

1 week. Added 10lbs of Fiji pink ontop of the 20lbs of Bahamas Oolite which was ontop of 10lbs of live mud.

Running an AC20 to clear the water

0667A289-3436-4505-A17A-7B4B4D8BBD1D_zps

Little bit of morning sun coming into the tank

EA164522-B3C8-4E38-898C-8C7E3EEDE508_zps

9747EAEF-182D-4D61-967A-F2BA8562850E_zps

• Like 9

Looking forward to see how this turns out. And now a few questions for you. Are you sticking with the AC 20 and how long till you turn it over to saltwater? Also where did the MP10 go? kind of surprised it doesn't blow sand everywhere.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I think at least 3 of the 6 will sprout by the end of the month

D11BF151-F35A-4D12-9B05-92C73E3C5CD4_zps

E4750A26-F7FA-48EE-99CA-EC92836A080E_zps

2A4C0440-78B7-41E1-8761-C522F2466137_zps

Looking forward to see how this turns out. And now a few questions for you. Are you sticking with the AC 20 and how long till you turn it over to saltwater? Also where did the MP10 go? kind of surprised it doesn't blow sand everywhere.

The mp10 actually did less sand damage than the ac20. But it's all settled now and I will stick the AC20 or go lily pipes and a canister but the ac20 is super easy.

• Like 8

Very nice! I wish I could do something like this, but I'm afraid I don't have the patience. What are the long term plans for this tank? Will there be any additional livestock?

Very nice! I wish I could do something like this, but I'm afraid I don't have the patience. What are the long term plans for this tank? Will there be any additional livestock?

The main objective is just to grow the mangroves out and create the tunnel. have a few ideas for livestock, but probably won't be SW for another year.

So how long are you going to run freshwater or have you swapped it over ? This build has me thinking........

Probably not for a year. All depends on growth.

I admire your patience. I'd probably be yelling at the mangroves to grow faster.

Haha thanks. It's actually fun seeing the day to day grown changes. Hasn't felt like 6 weeks to reach this point.

Was going to ask about heat but can see now you don't have an issues with that I am sure.......

Running anything in the AC filter? any algae issues yet?

12 on 12 off?

5am to 10pm

Was going to ask about heat but can see now you don't have an issues with that I am sure.......

Running anything in the AC filter? any algae issues yet?

Just the sponge that came with it and no algae.

• Like 2

Brad, I remember you posting somewhere that you had mangroves in soil?

I've had to remove my mangroves, that were growing exceptionally well from the system asI'm dosing NOPOX and also changing the aquascape.

They have since started to wilt and lose most leaves and I want to keep them but not in an aquarium. In your experience, could they be potted up like a normal plant and left on a window to grow?

Brad, I remember you posting somewhere that you had mangroves in soil?

I've had to remove my mangroves, that were growing exceptionally well from the system asI'm dosing NOPOX and also changing the aquascape.

They have since started to wilt and lose most leaves and I want to keep them but not in an aquarium. In your experience, could they be potted up like a normal plant and left on a window to grow?

They can definitely be potted and put near a window, the only issue is that you have to make sure the soil is constantly wet. The roots can not dry up.

They can definitely be potted and put near a window, the only issue is that you have to make sure the soil is constantly wet. The roots can not dry up.

Agreed 100%

I actually have a mangrove in my dart frog enclosure - roots always have access to the water in the drainage layer (freshwater) and it grows new leaves pretty consistantly.

Also love this aquarium concept; can't wait to see it progress!

15975050_10154595860118283_3568900445469

• Like 3

Would you use soil from the garden or buy a mag of miracle mud and just make sure it's watered often?

I had a friend who just used a big vase and put some rocks in it. He pulled his mangroves out of his fuge when he took it down. They have been living in his garden window during the winter and he puts them outside in the summer. He just keeps it full of water.

I am sure the dirt would be better for nutrients though.